Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Taurus wagon 3.0 has 178,000 km on it. The problem began a week ago when I would slow down to come to a stop, it felt like the transmission wasn't disengaging and was going to stall. This happened for a couple of hours, but then cleared up and gave me no problem. Yesterday, when I was driving I was getting a "whine" type noise. It would go up and down with the transmission. I checked the fluid and it seemed fine, although I'm no car-guy. Then the transmission started to shift very roughly, and then didn't work at all. My engine would rev. like it was in neutral, but wasn't in gear. I stopped, shut the car off. Re-started, and it seemed to work fine again. On my way home, it did the same thing again. Again, I stopped, shut it off, re-started and it seemed fine. Every time I had to stop for a light or sign, it would seem like it was "thinking about" going into gear or not. I made it home, but don't know what to do from here.
Anyone with ideas for me???
Thanks,
Big Sammy

·
Registered
513 Posts
QUOTE (big sammy @ Mar 22 2009, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711206
My 2000 Taurus wagon 3.0 has 178,000 km on it. The problem began a week ago when I would slow down to come to a stop, it felt like the transmission wasn't disengaging and was going to stall. This happened for a couple of hours, but then cleared up and gave me no problem. Yesterday, when I was driving I was getting a "whine" type noise. It would go up and down with the transmission. I checked the fluid and it seemed fine, although I'm no car-guy. Then the transmission started to shift very roughly, and then didn't work at all. My engine would rev. like it was in neutral, but wasn't in gear. I stopped, shut the car off. Re-started, and it seemed to work fine again. On my way home, it did the same thing again. Again, I stopped, shut it off, re-started and it seemed fine. Every time I had to stop for a light or sign, it would seem like it was "thinking about" going into gear or not. I made it home, but don't know what to do from here.
Anyone with ideas for me???
Thanks,
Big Sammy[/b]
Stop driving it! The more you drive it the more parts you'll be replacing when it gets torn down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Big Sammy,

I really suggest you take your wagon to a qualified shop. From what you are saying, it sounds more like mechanical problems inside the transmision. However, it could also be a faulty sensor. You see, the transmission is partly controlled by the computer. Only a close inspection by a trained technician can tell. Worst thing is you will have to overhaul your transmission. Down here, that job goes about $400 dlls. It could go higher if the number of damaged inner parts increases beyond what's considered "normal" for a repair of that kind. That's why mt_goat is suggesting you stop using it as soon as you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.....I will do just that....
Sammy

QUOTE (Atos @ Mar 23 2009, 11:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711428
Big Sammy,

I really suggest you take your wagon to a qualified shop. From what you are saying, it sounds more like mechanical problems inside the transmision. However, it could also be a faulty sensor. You see, the transmission is partly controlled by the computer. Only a close inspection by a trained technician can tell. Worst thing is you will have to overhaul your transmission. Down here, that job goes about $400 dlls. It could go higher if the number of damaged inner parts increases beyond what's considered "normal" for a repair of that kind. That's why mt_goat is suggesting you stop using it as soon as you can.[/b]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts