Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, I have a big problem of my 2001 mercury sable ls. three days before I drove it to school in big snow.
When I go back I need to step on the accelerator hard like 3000rpm to let the car go forward, I thought it was the snow but it should be the start of the problem. And also there is brunt smell. After one day when I want use my car, it won't move forward. But the reverse is good. If step on the accelerator hard enough, it will suddenly move forward. I checked the transmission fluid, its low.
what should I do now?
please help.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Did you refill the fluid to the correct level? If you did, did it help? If not, and it always works in reverse but not in any forward gear, you likely have a forward clutch piston problem (cracked / damaged piston or bad piston seal).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you refill the fluid to the correct level? If you did, did it help? If not, and it always works in reverse but not in any forward gear, you likely have a forward clutch piston problem (cracked / damaged piston or bad piston seal).
Thank you for your reply Jeff.
I just bought transmission fluid from Walmart. but it seem that I bought the wrong type of fluid.
I find a guy check the car and he said may be a losen clutch.
I am a newbie to car, drive or maintain. I just bought this car for 1 month and learn how to drive it for one month.
I get a lot information from this forum and changed my oil and flushed my brake fluid and power steering fluid. Transmission fluid is the only fluid I haven't check yet. This give me a lesson.
I have a floor jack and jack stand and wrench set.
If I want fix it or check it my self what tools will I need?
Thank you again Jeff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check for leaks. Maybe you knocked a line loose in the deep heavy snow. Refill to the proper level with mercon V atf after checking with engine warm and idling in park.
Thanks sheila It worked!
I put 1/2 Qt in and put another 1/2 in. Although the level is still lower than the bar can contact, the car moves like normal.
And I found drop by drop leak of transmission fluid in the front part of the car at the driver side. The speed is like one drop/10 sec. What's the suggestion now?

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
You will need to get under the car and locate exactly where the leak is coming from. Might be best to do this with the car running, tranny in park, and park brake firmly set.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Thanks Jeff

Am looking for some garage or dry place to get under my car.
You know in Syracuse snow is everywhere.
If you don't mind a spotted driveway, just keep it checked and don't let it get low. If you can't find a dry place to check right now.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
I hate to admit it, but if youre snowed-in and no garage to work inside, you may be forced to take it to a shop. It might need something as simple as a line splice, etc., but you cant ignore a tranny leak. If you run it dry, you could be looking at $2000+ to repair. Until you figure out what youre going to do, its imperative to keep the fluid level in the hash-mark area on the dipstick with engine warm, idling and in park.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all so much.
Problem solved without change anything.

So the total loss are 5 bottle of transmission fluid which cost me about 20 bucks way less of 2000 which I thought it would be.

Thank you all so much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.