Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Round 2. I'm building up an AX4N for performance. The highest-end stuff I can seem to find is Borg Warner, and the lowest prices I can find is transmissionpartsusa.com. I'm installing the shift kit while I'm in there, but are there high-end parts I should be using (or finding)? Better clutch material so my wheels spin instead of my tranny? Stuff like that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure which "shift kit" you are going with but I would recommend the Transgo kit or the Sonnax Sure Cure kit listed in the link below.

I used the Transgo kit in my AX4S and was happy with it. The Transgo kit along with the Sonnax kit both contain modifications to perform to help cure problems the AX4N and AX4S are know to have like lack of lubrication or weak parts.

The transgo kits are excellent and not that hard to install.....Transgo is very well respected.
http://www.transgo.com/kit_images/SK%20AX4N.jpg

I bought my transgo kit and my master rebuild kit from bulkpart.com.
You'll want to buy new bands if they arent included in the master kits. You might have to do a little research to see if you'll need extra parts that arent included in master rebuild kits.

AX4N, 4F50N Ford - front wheel drive Transmission Parts Catalog

Sonnax has a full line of rebuild parts or parts that are upgrades from the originals in the AX4N. I cant tell you which ones you will need or should buy though......since I only rebuilt my AX4S and it looks like it had more issues than the AX4N.

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/filter?filter[make]=2&filter[unit]=194

The Borg warner clutches should be fine....not sure you can get anything else for the Taurus trans anyway. From what I understand....the clutches arent really the problem with the Taurus transmissions......its lubrication and the lack of lubrication of the internal components that causes excessive internal heat to be a real problem. When I tore apart my AX4S....I had one broken forward clutch steel (probably broken from excessive heat)....and the original clutches looked pretty good. Thus, make sure you get a complete kit that includes all new steels. Again...make sure the kit comes with a new bands (looks like the AX4N has two bands)....if not get new ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also: Might want to post your question over on

SHOForum.com

There are some experienced SHO guys over there who might be really familiar with AX4N rebuilds for high performance.

I think the SHO AX4N (the SHO AX4S is stronger) is different and stronger than the standard Taurus/Sable AX4N.....so if your looking for the strongest stuff might look at upgrading to a SHO AX4N.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.