Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. So today I am parked in a gravel parking lot...started to leave and I hear a horrible noise...thought for sure I blew a tire. Got out...noticed it was a rock I had run over. no body damage...no problem. I drive on.

I drive about 6 miles...maybe 7-8 mins...and I notice it is slipping a little. A minute later i feel a little slip again...and thought...I wonder if its possible I am leaking tranny fluid? So I found a parking lot and stopped. Sure enough there was a stream of fluid comming out the bottom of the transmission pan.

I hope that I can get new pan, and fluid, and move on...
The questions I have. First...i can not seen to find a pan online anywhere. I cant even find it on the ford parts sites...Is there a different name for this? I have no idea where to find it, or what its going to cost. Second...what is the likelyhood that in that amount of time I did any real damage to the tranny itself. I was not pushing it...I was driving in town, 30-40mph...

Here are the details.
2005 Taurus ( I think SES? it was a rental car I am pretty sure)
3.0 I think its the OHV? I KNOW it is the flex fuel.
I dont know which tranny.
122k miles
no mods...

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You need to know which tranny you have. AX4S or AX4N. they have a different number of bolts so are not interchangeable. Look on the label on the drivers side door for the info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
ok. So today I am parked in a gravel parking lot...started to leave and I hear a horrible noise...thought for sure I blew a tire. Got out...noticed it was a rock I had run over. no body damage...no problem. I drive on.

I drive about 6 miles...maybe 7-8 mins...and I notice it is slipping a little. A minute later i feel a little slip again...and thought...I wonder if its possible I am leaking tranny fluid? So I found a parking lot and stopped. Sure enough there was a stream of fluid comming out the bottom of the transmission pan.

I hope that I can get new pan, and fluid, and move on...
The questions I have. First...i can not seen to find a pan online anywhere. I cant even find it on the ford parts sites...Is there a different name for this? I have no idea where to find it, or what its going to cost. Second...what is the likelyhood that in that amount of time I did any real damage to the tranny itself. I was not pushing it...I was driving in town, 30-40mph...

Here are the details.
2005 Taurus ( I think SES? it was a rental car I am pretty sure)
3.0 I think its the OHV? I KNOW it is the flex fuel.
I dont know which tranny.
122k miles
no mods...

Thanks in advance.
You have the AX4N/4F50N transaxle. The trans pan lists for $43.98 at your local dealership. You can also get one at any transmission repair shop. #1 in the attached pic.

What does the fluid look like now? If it looks or smells burnt, there is a greater chance of permanent damage. I would replace the pan, new fluid (I prefer synthetic) and see how it drives.

With 122K miles, there is no definitive answer on if it will be ok.

Your browse resulted in 2 Items
Browsing Items 1 to 2 of 2 Pages 1
Trans pan, AX4N/4F50N PAN ASY - TRANSMISSI - 3.0 liter ohv
List Price : $43.98
Your Price : $35.18

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got it fixed. Called the dealership they said 43.00. Got there and it was 51.00. Whatever...I needed it. repair was simple, used Valvoline Max life fluid. So far...seems like the tranny was OK. I am prob a little OVER on the fluid...so I will need to drain a little...but so far so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts