Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.I actualy did try searching for my problem using different key words and i got nothingso im sorry if this has been addressed already.

2000 Taurus SE
Auto tranny

My problem is this.a couple weeks ago i was driving across town during traffic time then stopped to get some food.while sitting in the drive thru i smelled some tranny fluid.i looked underneath and saw a puddle of tranny fluid about the size of a grapefruit roughly.the fluid didnt really smell TOO burnt but still smelled less than good.as i was driving it back home i didnt notice any problems with shifting.i stopped at the autozone and got a quart of fluid and it took aprox half a quart.after that it has been ok to drive with no problems.well,yesterday it was a hot day and i went to feed my face again and while sitting in the drive thru the same thing happened.... other than that i had been driving it no more than 3 miles back and forth each day.but those 2 days it happened on they were both 80+% days,traffic was heavy.and i was sitting in the drive thru lol.Any knowledge would be a great help.thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Add an aftermarket aux cooler. Avoid the tube and fin ones and get the tank style.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response man.So this is common for my car? Also could you kindly link me to what what i would need? Im not lazy just couldnt really find anything at autozone.Again, thank you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Prior to having a Tranny cooler installed, I always smelled Tranny Fluid, after a long city / hyw drive in 80+ weather.
It never came out or leaked, but it used to get so hot that I could smell it, when standing next the hood.

after installing the cooler, it never got so hot to smell.
installing a cooler should help you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Prior to having a Tranny cooler installed, I always smelled Tranny Fluid, after a long city / hyw drive in 80+ weather.
It never came out or leaked, but it used to get so hot that I could smell it, when standing next the hood.

after installing the cooler, it never got so hot to smell.
installing a cooler should help you.
i have the SAME problem but i also have additional problems
such as loss of 4 gear and overdrive

thanks for the advice, i will look in to doing this now cuz of your advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts