Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think its my Transmission, but a friend of my moms said that her Achiva acted the same way when her engine died.

the Temp guage showed a fairly normal Temp (was between the O and R) the car started to jerk when it was suposed to shift up, then wouldn't shift, I ended up doing 50 at about 4.5k -5K RPMs. when I got to the light it didn't want to go, it was almost like it was in neutral untill it started slowly moving at 3-3.5k (like when you don't have the clutch all the way out), I ended up doing 15MPH at 4.5K to get out of the intersection and started seeing a little smoke. pulled into the gas station, and parked for a good 30min - 45min and it drove normal. I tried to drive it a little further towards home, and it did the same thing after a few miles.

To me it feels almost like if your clutch is slipping on a Manual, but my mom's friend said that's exactly what her car did when the engine went.

I'd like to find out if its my Engine or my Transmission.

BTW, its a Essex

Any and all help is appreciated, and wish me luck that its just tranny.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Have you checked your tranny's fluid level. you may be low, which would explain it not shifting. if there isn't enough transmission fluid then, the torque converter won't recieve the right pressure to make contact, thus none of the engine's power is making it to the wheels. if the levels are right you may want to change your fluid, filter and gaskets.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert in this situation,

But it sounds like your tranny is slipping.. And the smoke, sounds like the tranny is leaking. I'm not positive though, so don't take my word for it.

My Intrepid did the same thing... the smoke and the non-shifting thing. But it just needed some tranny fluid. Did you check all your levels???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The level's are fine. that was the first thing I checked, there does seem to be a small puddle forming under my car (just a bit bigger than my size 14 shoe.)

I already have some ATF, but don't know how or where to drain old fluid

How do I change the fluid? (how to drain, where the filter is) I cant move around too much under the car, not enough room cause of my size (6'3, 275)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had it jacked up. it doesn't raise it enough for me to move "freeley" around there. my mechanic is already telling me that I need a new Transmission just by what I explained here. so I don't what to take it to him and he say I tried it and it didn't work

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
That will only replace 4 out of about 12 quarts of the transmission fluid - effectively doing nothing. Get it powerflushed at a local tranny shop - ~$100. But, I don't think a flush will help you at this point. Your'e gonna need a rebuild, especially if your'e leaking fluid. It's probably the mainseal between the engine crank and the transmission torque converter. That would cause the torque converter to loose pressure, and the converter MUST have pressure to work. Go to a tranny shop.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Not for nothing, but your tranny is toast. It sounds like the forward piston is cracked, and is on it's way out. The smoke you saw was probably your ATF roasting from revving at 4500RPM! Or at least lets hope that's what the smoke was.

Pull your tranny dipstick, and smell the fluid on it. How does it smell?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
smelled a very slight hint of burnt. but not much, I don't care, its at the mechanic right now, and as long as it runs till I have my other car rebuilt I'll be happy. just hope it doesn't need anything else in the near future

1 - 10 of 10 Posts