Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pass at wide open throttle on the highway I'm noticing that sometimes it'll neutral out (high RPMs with no power). I'll let off it, and it'll grab. It doesn't do this if I give it some acceleration and just drop down to 3rd gear but if I floor it and it jumps down to 2nd, it'll neutral out. This is the only weirdness I'm having with my trans (98 Vulcan). Any ideas what could cause this?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
It almost sounds like the transmission is slipping out of gear. I'm not sure what would cause this, unless maybe a gear is screwed up and it misses the notch. I know this was common way back in the day, but I'm fairly new to newer cars, so I cant confirm this.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Have you checked fluid level properly (Fluid @ operating temp, level surface, shifter in each gear for several seconds, then into park before checking)? Low fluid level can cause this problem as fluid flows to the rear of the pan under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked fluid level properly (Fluid @ operating temp, level surface, shifter in each gear for several seconds, then into park before checking)? Low fluid level can cause this problem as fluid flows to the rear of the pan under hard acceleration.
Just got to checking and it looks around a quart over full. I'm doubting this is the problem but never know!

I can totally see what you're saying about low fluid. That makes complete sense as far as the clutches not getting pressure due to acceleration moving the fluid back where it wouldn't be picked up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could the pump in the trans be constricted at high rpms because of the extra fluid? Something like cavitation, only the opposite? This is just a guess.:dunno:
Another guess is if there might be a 'self preservation' device in the valve body that cuts pressure to low 2nd when the ECM sends a certain rpm signal that the manufacture considers excessive.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
NEVER NEVER NEVER overfill any of your fluids. I had a friend who lost a hand because he overfilled his brake fluid, too much pressure in the reservoir and it blew off the cap. Next time he went to stop his brakes locked on him and he got rear ended by a semi on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Overfilling is just as bad or worse than underfilling a tranny. Overfilling can entrain air in the fluid causing the pump to cavitate which results in a severe loss of system pressure.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
When I pass at wide open throttle on the highway I'm noticing that sometimes it'll neutral out (high RPMs with no power). I'll let off it, and it'll grab. It doesn't do this if I give it some acceleration and just drop down to 3rd gear but if I floor it and it jumps down to 2nd, it'll neutral out. This is the only weirdness I'm having with my trans (98 Vulcan). Any ideas what could cause this?
Had that issue on my '02 AX4S. It was a bad clutch pack. Nothing that a $1600 overhaul couldn't fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts