Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering just how much a transmission can suck?

My poor car has almost 190k miles on the tranny and body (only 40 on the engine! woo!). Now, don't start with the "vulcan = junk" because I don't want to hear it. For those of you not following, I had my car dyno at 143 to the wheels at 4600 rpm. When the guy took his foot off the gas, the dyno read -60hp. Really? My car ate 60 hp from the dyno? Moving on... after all the work I put into the car, I was super disappointed, and I told him I wanted to make 200 at the crank. He said that I probably was, and that I should be happy. (I'm not). I guess if you take the difference between -60 and 140, you're at 200, but I don't think it works that way. 200 hp 'tecs dyno between 150-160, IIRC.

Also, I work in a garage, and we see plenty of bulls coming and going. Every vulcan I get in (and some 'tecs) I discreetly mash the pedal to compare it to my car. These cars have more pull. Seriously. A '99 vulcan with 70k on it pulls harder than my '97 (40k on the engine, 190k on the tranny) which puts the '99's crank horsepower to the wheels. So the only thing I can think of is the tranny. If I get my tranny rebuilt (which I need anyway) do you think I'd find 10-15 hp at the wheels? Can anyone else think of why a same-gen vulcan bull can pull harder than mine?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Your torque converter would be the main limiting factor in the tranny. Might be that yours is a bit worn and doesn't convert the fluid power to torque at the wheels as well as it used to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.