Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST finished replacing the cam Position Sensor and Synchronizer a couple days ago...and now the transmission is draining the fluid to the tune of EVERYTHING in a matter of hours.

Had someone take a quick look and it appears that it is leaking around the housing and tourque convertor.

My question - is this worth fixing? If so, is it a relatively easy DIY? Anyone encounter this before, i.e. is this a common issue?

I filled it up with fluid at 6pm. At 8:30pm on my way home it was bone dry...I had to coast into my yard.

I tried Lucus Transmission Fix hoping that it would temporarily lessen the problem so I can atleast get past christmas, but it made absolutely no difference.

1999 Taurus V6 'Vulcan' Automatic

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I JUST finished replacing the cam Position Sensor and Synchronizer a couple days ago...and now the transmission is draining the fluid to the tune of EVERYTHING in a matter of hours.

Had someone take a quick look and it appears that it is leaking around the housing and tourque convertor.

My question - is this worth fixing? If so, is it a relatively easy DIY? Anyone encounter this before, i.e. is this a common issue?

I filled it up with fluid at 6pm. At 8:30pm on my way home it was bone dry...I had to coast into my yard.

I tried Lucus Transmission Fix hoping that it would temporarily lessen the problem so I can atleast get past christmas, but it made absolutely no difference.

1999 Taurus V6 'Vulcan' Automatic
It could be the stator bearing. Here's what I did:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/156628-transmission-fluid-leak.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/156770-if-has-come-out.html

Don't use stop leak products-they ruin all the seals over time, and do not cure the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It looks good. It sounds good. When it drives, it rides good. And I do like it very much. But this is the second thing in less than a week - and I've only had it for 13 days!

I bought it for 750 "as is" and I had it quickly looked over by a mechanic that said it looked in ok shape. I've dumped almost 800 in to it (although some was just necessary like transfer fees, gas, fluids, etc, the point remains, less than 2 weeks and almost a grand beyond what I bought it for and I STILL can't use it??...) and now another major repair may be needed.

It smells like cut and run time.... BEFORE I get to a point that I can't afford to walk away...If I consider that, with a repair that size, I'll be pushing 3k on a 12 yr old car that was meant for a winter beater...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It stopped leaking transmission fluid the last couple days...but now it starts slipping after about 15mins of driving...

Not sure what that means...I just don't have the cash to do anything with it until mid-january...

any thoughts?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
It stopped leaking transmission fluid the last couple days...but now it starts slipping after about 15mins of driving...

Not sure what that means...I just don't have the cash to do anything with it until mid-january...

any thoughts?
You mentioned running it dry, may have some damage in there from that. Have you checked the condition of the ATF cooler lines? A Northeast / Salt Belt G3 with rotted out lines is not uncommon. Eady DIY fix, though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will check.

Although I did find an identical car...same year, color, etc. with a dead battery and bad front pads. Looks like it was extremely well cared for (everything underneath and under the hood was clean as a whistle with what looks like a few shiney new parts). Not sure of the repair history as it was owned by an elderly gentleman who just passed. For 200, it may be the cheapest fix :) Downside, 300k on it...

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
It looks good. It sounds good. When it drives, it rides good. And I do like it very much. But this is the second thing in less than a week - and I've only had it for 13 days!

I bought it for 750 "as is" and I had it quickly looked over by a mechanic that said it looked in ok shape. I've dumped almost 800 in to it (although some was just necessary like transfer fees, gas, fluids, etc, the point remains, less than 2 weeks and almost a grand beyond what I bought it for and I STILL can't use it??...) and now another major repair may be needed.

It smells like cut and run time.... BEFORE I get to a point that I can't afford to walk away...If I consider that, with a repair that size, I'll be pushing 3k on a 12 yr old car that was meant for a winter beater...
It sucks, but then again you can't expect a $700 car to not need a little work before it drives right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.