Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting some hard shifting from transmission so I decided I would try changing the fluid and filter on my 01 Taurus (with 110k miles). After changing the filter and replacing fluid, I drover around the block a few times to make sure the levels were correct. I added fluid slowly and repeated process until levels were in the hash marks. The next day I discovered a huge puddle of fluid (and was still leaking) on driver side (and maybe as much as a quart) where the axle meets the tranny. My question is if it is the seal, would the fluid be leaking so fast? and if I tear it down to replace the seal, will the fluid come gushing out when I do? ...as it is leaking quite a bit...as in 10 drops per minute...After inspecting the site of the leak it DOES appear to be the seal...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that dip stick problem before and fixed it by routing a new, longer hose and just dumping the vent cap altogether...hasn't leaked there again since (about 6 months). However, I also had other problems when I addressed the tranny problem and thought I would knock them all out at once.
Leaking antifreeze from worn timing chain cover gasket. That was quite a job since I had to basically remove the entire front of the engine including cam shaft dampener and replacing that seal (gasket). Naturally when I did that I saw that I should probably replace the oil pan gasket as well (since you have to remove 2 of the pan bolts to remove the front housing I saw that it was worn and needed replacing) but didn't know that the GENIUS design engineers put the exhaust line directly under the oil pan so that was a nightmare in and of itself. (I know I am long-winded but here is the punchline): So after reassembling and replacing the antifreeze and oil, after I jacked it back down and started it, guess what...? The tranny leak mysteriously disappeared. I have a bone dry pavement at the moment so now I don't know WHAT to make of it lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts