Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Taurus SEL. I want to use it for towing a 2000 pound camper trailer. But it has the AX4N transmission.
I know Ford makes tranny's for heavier vehicles - sedans, vans, SUV's, trucks. And they used to make a Taurus SHO.
All of those must have had sturdier transmissions.
How can I get my car upgraded, so I do not have to buy an (ugh) SUV to pull a Scamp?

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
The G2 SHOs had the same A4XN / 4F50N as the all the Duratec Tauri and the later Vulcan Tauri. Even with a tranny cooler, I doubt the stock tranny will live long, especially if pulling up long grades.

Pulling a 2000 lb trailer with a 3500 lb car is asking for TROUBLE, IMO. Taurus brakes are fine (but not great) for the weight of the car itself, 3 or 4 people and a trunk of luggage. Add close to another ton of weight and an emergency stop with the car likely wont turn out well.

·
Administrator
15,089 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the AX4N simply isn't up to the task without a significant investment. The 4.6 Conti & 3.4 SHO's did see some trans upgrades but still they hardly fell into the workhorse category. In order to even moderately unleash the beast in one of my V8 SHO's required a build by FPS that was $3900 in 2010 dollars. (BTW the subsequent torque steer from the less restrained 3.4 was so dangerous it made the trans build and tune expenses a poor investment, I had to have the tune backed down.) Even were you to add a cooler and beef the trans you'd still need to deal with an engine, suspension and braking system that also aren't really up to the task. Our family has owned and loved more than our fair share of Bulls, past and present, but we've always left the heavy lifting to vehicles designed with it in mind.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A quick google search gave me a fast answer: DON'T DO IT. According to this: 2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Station Wagon Specs and Prices The towing capacity of your car is 1,250 pounds. Your 2,000 pound trailer is 750 pounds overweight. You could put the trailer on a serious diet, and see if it can lose those 750 extra pounds, but you're probably better off to buy something (like an Explorer or a Ranger) to pull the trailer with. At least, I think the Explorer and Ranger have a high enough tow rating for the trailer you want to pull.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Look for a cheap V8 Explorer or a 4.2 inline 6 Trailblazer (do NOT get the 5.3 Trailblazer re: displacement on demand). Putting a 2K lb trailer behind a Taurus is tempting fate, and fate will always win one way or another. If you're not worried, you could rent a vehicle that would come with a receiver and tow it that way; just need to add a ball.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Consider renting a pickup from Hertz at airport, they are drowning in cars and trucks, get a good deal for a week rental if you are just going on a vacation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts