1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks... Dave here, TCCA nubie.

Awesome forums! Regarding: 1998 Taurus SE, Vulcan, regular gas

In service original delivery: Ft. Lauderdale 3-3-98

Trannie has a few little issues in orbit, and I'm NOT going to be able to replace it just yet.

Intermittently, the transmission slips off the line on normal gentle acceleration. Feels like starting out on ice for a moment. No slippage between gears, just starting out.

Trannie is currently over filled... bought a dipstick from the dealer... I'm pretty sure it's the wrong one. It bottoms out long before the top stem seats on the filler spout.

I love the car... drives like a dream, at times has gotten 30+ mpg on the highway. Power everything and 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES.

QUESTION: I plan to try some Lucas... if I just drop the trans fluid pan, and don't "drain" the whole system, how much fluid should be in the pan sump when it's topped up? Anybody know? I'm hoping to get a quart of Lucas into it, and make up the difference with Trans fluid.

I'm pretty sure the fluid hasn't been changed in 60k or more, but it looks good and smells like it should smell. But I DON'T want to flush the system. I don't think the trannie will like it, given what I know about the pre-ownership maintenance of this vehicle.

I have a powerful need to not be putting a trannie in this right now, and would like to get some more drive time without totally killing the transmission.

:D

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks folks... So far... between gears it's okay. Off the line, it's getting some slippage... although if I take it easy, it acts fine.

I'm going to take it to the dealer parts folks, and see what the problem is ordering the right dipstick. I already paid for it... they might as well find me the right one.

There's only one self service salvage yard in my area, and it's pretty bad. Picked clean.

I love this car... it needs a crapload of updates and maintenance, which is still cheaper than buying a new car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts