1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks... Dave here, TCCA nubie.

Awesome forums! Regarding: 1998 Taurus SE, Vulcan, regular gas

In service original delivery: Ft. Lauderdale 3-3-98

Trannie has a few little issues in orbit, and I'm NOT going to be able to replace it just yet.

Intermittently, the transmission slips off the line on normal gentle acceleration. Feels like starting out on ice for a moment. No slippage between gears, just starting out.

Trannie is currently over filled... bought a dipstick from the dealer... I'm pretty sure it's the wrong one. It bottoms out long before the top stem seats on the filler spout.

I love the car... drives like a dream, at times has gotten 30+ mpg on the highway. Power everything and 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES.

QUESTION: I plan to try some Lucas... if I just drop the trans fluid pan, and don't "drain" the whole system, how much fluid should be in the pan sump when it's topped up? Anybody know? I'm hoping to get a quart of Lucas into it, and make up the difference with Trans fluid.

I'm pretty sure the fluid hasn't been changed in 60k or more, but it looks good and smells like it should smell. But I DON'T want to flush the system. I don't think the trannie will like it, given what I know about the pre-ownership maintenance of this vehicle.

I have a powerful need to not be putting a trannie in this right now, and would like to get some more drive time without totally killing the transmission.

:D

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
JMO
You need to....
Get the correct dipstick! NOW!
Drop the pan, and as you said DO NOT FLUSH and stir up the sediments
Get the fluid to the proper level, and yes, I had VERY good luck with the Lucas and FRESH fluid in my AXODE. (After 100,000 miles I changed it every 12,000 miles when it got a slight shudder between shifts)
Change the fluid, add the Lucas again at 250 miles ( this stopped all problems in mine)
Change the fluid regularly at 15-20,000 miles at the MOST!
You clutches sound like they are just about gone, so the friction modifier in the Lucas will help for a little while if you don't have too much fluid in the transaxle, and be nice to it......

Good Luck

Michael

·
Registered
23,637 Posts
After the pan drop and new filter, i would refill with 6 qts. mercon v atf, start the car, bring it up to operating temp, shift through all the gears a couple of times, check fluid level (with car idling) and add as needed to get the level into the safe crosshatch area. Add in 1/2-1 pint increments so as not to overfill. If the pan gasket is the oem reusable one, reuse it instead of the junk one that comes with the filter kit. You can get the filter kit at any parts store for about $20. Make sure you get the old filter neck seal out of the tranny prior to installing new filter and seal. For your 1-2 slip, i would check/replace the vss (vehicle speed sensor). A cheap shot in the dark. 1-2 slip is a classic symptom of a failing vss. You can probably get the correct dipstick for cheap at a self service salvage yard. Important to have the proper one installed before driving. I would pass on the lucas additive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks folks... So far... between gears it's okay. Off the line, it's getting some slippage... although if I take it easy, it acts fine.

I'm going to take it to the dealer parts folks, and see what the problem is ordering the right dipstick. I already paid for it... they might as well find me the right one.

There's only one self service salvage yard in my area, and it's pretty bad. Picked clean.

I love this car... it needs a crapload of updates and maintenance, which is still cheaper than buying a new car.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree with the previous responses, although I'm not a huge Lucas products fan. I've seen their stuff cause as many problems as solve.

BTW best reason for a post edit ever, Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts