Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2000 Taurus for about 2 years now, I've had very few issues so far, other than needing new spark plugs. It won't pass emissions here in Maryland, but that's a different issue. The most pressing problem is I think my transmission. I've had no lights or warnings for it, but the other night it made a weird clunk, then the engine revved all the way, and then wouldn't move any more. Couldn't shift into any gear, and it was making a weird whining. Anyone have any idea is to what might have happened? Is it fixable? or total junk now. I love this car, I'm really upset I can't drive it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Transmission pump is probably toast. Tranny Rebuild is going to be in order in my opinion.

·
Registered
22,571 Posts
Atf level is in the safe crosshatch area of the atf dipstick when checked with engine idling and at normal operating temperature? Stripped torque converter splines should affect fluid level also. Cv axles ok?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have owned my 2000 Taurus for over 5 years now. When I first got it, it was shifting funny. Checked ATF, it was way low. Topped it off, and it shifted smoothly like it should. There was a time earlier this year, took a trip of around 100 miles everything was fine. On the way home going down a hill, my trans downshifted then upshifted immediately. Went to work the next day and check my level, it was low again (where it went I don't know). Topped it off, and have not had any more issues. So I agree with the first step of diagnosis is checking your fluid level.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
I have owned my 2000 Taurus for over 5 years now. When I first got it, it was shifting funny. Checked ATF, it was way low. Topped it off, and it shifted smoothly like it should. There was a time earlier this year, took a trip of around 100 miles everything was fine. On the way home going down a hill, my trans downshifted then upshifted immediately. Went to work the next day and check my level, it was low again (where it went I don't know). Topped it off, and have not had any more issues. So I agree with the first step of diagnosis is checking your fluid level.
See pic, if the rubber vent cap is not on correctly, it will push fluid out the dipstick tube. Been there. The cap needs to be clean and put on just the first bulge of the nipple and be wobbly loose. Lots of issues with this simple part. Pic is shown with the cap removed so easy to see where it is. Reaching it is another issue.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I suspect pump or pump shaft as well, usually when the torque converter splines strip out there's a squealing noise and then silence. But it's impossible to tell without pulling the valve body cover off. Either way the trans needs to come out to fix this car, so if you can't do that yourself and you can't pay anyone, then you're unfortunately screwed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts