Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Great that there are so many taurus fans!

I have a Taurus 2003 SES with the AX4S transmission. It's only 41k miles. The transmission was never very smooth, but now it starts to concern me.

Let me try to explain the symptoms. Upon cold start, it sometimes takes nearly 1 second to engage into reverse, or to shift from reverse to drive. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is not smooth too. It sometimes feels later than I would expect, especially when caught in highway traffic at 15-20mph. Good news is that it hasn't slipped.

Is this serious? or common? Should I take it to a mechanic? and what I can expect them to do about it?

Thanks a lot!

-YQQ

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Have you checked the tranny fluid level & condition of the fluid????

Has the tranny fluid & filter ever been changed????

If the answer to both of the above is yes, I'd maybe consider running this puppy by a trusted tranny shop, for a computer trouble code scan, line pressure test & general diagnosis.

If it hasn't been serviced & the fluid looks dark, or smells bad, maybe consider the pan drop & full fluid pumpout proceedure listed atop this forums front page & see how it goes.

I've successfuly used a half can of Seafoam Trans Tune in my 94 AXODE tranny, drove it to clear up hesitant/hang shifting, then did the pan drop, fluid pumpout, with the specified Motorcraft fluid & tranny filter, with good results.

Some thoughts for pondering, let us know what you decide to do & how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I brought the car to the mechanic that I usually go to today. He said that the fluid is a bit brownish and there is a little bit of burning smell. I guess it's never been replaced given that it's 41k miles. But he said that the fluid is not important, and he could not do anything about transmission. I guess I will go to a specialized transmission shop next week and see what happens.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Most cars don't require as often changing the fluid as a Taurus will. It holds about 12 quarts or so of Mercon V and you will want to replace it if its brownish and never been changed.

I suggest taking it to the dealership and having them do a fluid drain and fill only. Do not let them use any solvents/detergents in the tranny or let them use any pressurized pumps to agitate the fluids.

If you want to take on the job yourself there is a guide on the forums if you want to get dirty. The filter costs less than $20 and your into about $50 or so for the Fluids depending on where you buy.

Amazon.com: Motorcraft XT5QMC Mercon V Automatic Transmission Fluid - 12 quarts: Automotive

If you can afford it i would recommend the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF. It costs a tad more but you can buy 3 gallons of to make sure you have leftover if you spill any, and you can use the rest in your power steering flush.

Wolfs Head is also another quality synthetic to look at.

Also my 99 Taurus has always shifted slower from R to D and N to D etc than any other car i have ever driven. I have noticed it in other Taurus too, i do not think its a problem. The transmission is the biggest issue you will see with any Taurus IMHO.

More products -

Gallon M1 ATF- http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/98hc69-gallon.html

Wolfs Head ATF - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wolfs-Head-836-92866-56-Universal-Transmission/dp/B002HA2USQ[/ame]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts