Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's probably already a topic on this. but after searching your forum don't really know what I'm looking for lol. my girlfriend has a 1994 taurus gl with a transaxle issue I've only drove it a few times, but what I've experienced is that it sometimes will jerk when you first start accelerating and seems to shift a tad late. Also when you stop it will fight the brakes like its trying to attack the car in front of it ( I attribute it to the fact her brakes needed replacing like 5k miles ago but she swears its done it since before the brakes were bad).

we had a bronco two that did a lot of the same things and turned out to be a clogging filter so I'm pretty sure that all it needs is a new filter and a flush but id thought id see what ya'll said. I know tauruses of this age are known for their transmission issues but from what i read sounds like this isn't as bad as the common issues of a failing transaxle.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The torque converter clutch solenoid may be hanging up and not letting the trans disengage from OD when it should. This would result in staying in gear, fighting the brakes, and/or stalling at a stop sign/red light. Try unplugging it and driving around a bit to see if the problem is gone. This test won't hurt anything, you just won't have working overdrive while it's unplugged. I had this problem on a G2 once. I can't remember it's exact location, but it is easily located on the outside of the transaxle case, IIRC. I changed it myself, had to open an inspection/cover plate on the tranny, I recall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k I will try that I'll go to the library in the morning and look at the alldata for it. thanks

p.s. would shifting it into just drive give the same effect?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I think so. It's been a while... See what you can read about it on the Interweb...
(PS I love Marietta. Did some work there years ago. Hung out at RJ T-Bones when off work. Great steaks, but no Canadian beer!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like it here lol, course never really gone anywhere else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I still don't have the car......yet but in time lol. i heard today that the cars speedo has quit working and after reading i hear its controlled by the vss which i also read is a source of a few transmission problems. could there be a link?

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
VSS
I had the same issues in my 94 .
Plus mine had E controled steering and it affected that also.
Change it out before you hammer the tranny, these trannies are weak and all that bad shifting isn't good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could anyone give me a rough idea where the sensor is located from the top of the engine (its a 3.8 liter with automatic if that makes any dif at all) im finally going to get a chance to work on the car and i here its possible to change the vss from topside. also anyone have any tips on how to do it or what to look for as for other issues.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Might check alldata again. I know on some 3.8 essex, the exhaust y-pipe has to be dropped. If you do this, be sure to unplug o2 sensors first prior to lowering.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just an update car is now outta commission for the time being. main bearing in the water pump let out on her father, so now its sitting in their driveway. he just going to get a new car and let me take the taurus off their hands. (whoot!!)

found out more about the transmission. it turned out that its a rebuilt unit with only 20k miles on it and its given them trouble since the beginning. starting with no cruise control so its still looks to be the vss but haven't had time or the chance to deal with that. especially now now i have to tack on a water pump and, radiator, and most likely a front motor mount. but hopefully after all the expense it will be worth it.

also finally have a picture of it. don't mind the idiot to the left that's me apparently trying to look bigger than the car and succeeding lol

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
just an update car is now outta commission for the time being. main bearing in the water pump let out on her father, so now its sitting in their driveway. he just going to get a new car and let me take the taurus off their hands. (whoot!!)

found out more about the transmission. it turned out that its a rebuilt unit with only 20k miles on it and its given them trouble since the beginning. starting with no cruise control so its still looks to be the vss but haven't had time or the chance to deal with that. especially now now i have to tack on a water pump and, radiator, and most likely a front motor mount. but hopefully after all the expense it will be worth it.

also finally have a picture of it. don't mind the idiot to the left that's me apparently trying to look bigger than the car and succeeding lol
Looks like it's in good shape from the front. It probably won't take much to change the water pump, I can tear down the side of my 3.0 and remove the water pump within about 25 minutes, but I've done it around 10 times. The 3.8 is probably very similar, though I think you'll be needing to raise the engine up on the right side to get it out, might be wrong though.

I don't know where the vss is, but there's probably pictures of it on rockauto, that would give you an idea of what you need to find. You likely do have bad motor mounts, check every one of them for cracks and tears, if your engine bucks when you put it in drive or reverse that's a good indication that you need some. My transmission mount blew out and looks pretty terrible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been awhile since there was any progress with this car but I'm happy to say the car is now mine and were getting a new water pump tommarrow only took me about 15 minutes to remove the old one. I haven't dealt with the vss yet main issue being its snowing in Georgia today and I don't feel like laying on the ground it the wet and cold, and second issue being I have to check the Chilton manual out of the library again as the Haynes i bought is practically useless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts