Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about 108,000 on the ODO, original transmission.

This just started happening a week or so ago. If I accelerate too hard either the transmission slips very briefly (enough to feel a few jerks like it's hesitating) or the engine is losing power momentarily. The only code is the one I've had for some time, that being a faulty TCC solenoid.

I guess you could say it sounds like this when I accelerate.

"Verrrrrr--vrr--vrr--vrrrrrrrrrrr"

If the tranny fails I dont think I'll be hanging onto the car, so would anyone want to part it out when it does eventually fail?

I want a truck, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Lots of trannies are falsely condemed for slipping and other problems when the real problem is with the engine, typically the ignition system..... bad coil pack, plug wires, etc. When was the last time plugs / wires were replaced / checked? Has the coil pack ever beed replaced? Has it been checked for cracks or corrosion?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of trannies are falsely condemed for slipping and other problems when the real problem is with the engine, typically the ignition system..... bad coil pack, plug wires, etc. When was the last time plugs / wires were replaced / checked? Has the coil pack ever beed replaced? Has it been checked for cracks or corrosion?
Coil pack was replaced some time ago with an ACCEL unit when I was trying to diagnose a separate issue that turned out to be a cracked head. The Accel unit basically melted so I went back to the OEM motorcraft unit. It's been fine ever since. The plugs and wires are about a year old.

Is a visual inspection all that's required for checking cracks? I know I could look for arcing but it's pretty dry here in the desert..

The RPM's should just rise normally until I hit the rev limiter, correct?

I don't recall any speedo issues in the past or now when this happens, but I'd have to pay attention to see if the speedo fluctuated.

I think that's everyone...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just pulled the codes.

The CEL isn't on however there are two stored. The usual P1744 was there, however I got a new one. It's P0455. Google points towards the evap canister?

One thing after another.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Fwiw, of the 5-6 vss ive r&rd, only 1 had a malfunctioning speedo and none threw a vss or any code. All were tranny-related with slipping (or harsh) 1-2 shifts when warm and other erratic shift points. The 1 with the faulty speedo also had the green tranny od off light flashing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got the exact opposit. I have hard shifts 1-2 when cold.

Not hard as in they slam, but hard as in there's an extended delay between the shifts is how I'd explain it. It's just not a smooth transition. The vehicle kind of lurches forward as it hunts for 2nd. But like I said, only when it's stone cold from sitting overnight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts