Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, my transmission is cooked. I went up to the mountains today, and well, everything was fine. I got home and parked my car. I went out to get something to eat at a local fast food. Didn't notice the car wasn't changing gears until maybe 5 mins because getting out of our neighborhood, you have to go through many little streets.

Anyways, my car stays in first gear. I can go up to 45-50 mph until the transmission starts getting to the 4.5-5k RPMs.

Anyone think that this could be something else that failed? Because it was working great until I parked it and then started it up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My uncle's did that when the MLP failed - it was telling the PCM that he had it in manual first, so it wouldn't shift. Get that checked.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely, what does MLP stand for sorry?

I just want to out weigh the chance of paying $1200 for a rebuilt tranny. Its just weird, nothing changed, just a sudden off and on position of the key made it go wacko.

Thank you Nidan.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
MLPS = Manual Lever Position Sensor

It's what the shifter cable attaches to at the tranny. It tells the computer what gear you put the shifter into, which then tells the tranny what gear to go into.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May I add that when I went to the mountains, there were moments when I change it to D-1 and D-2 depending on the hills and up hills I had to do. Can this make the cable malfunction on the MLP?

I have reverse, neutral and park on the transmission. So apparently its stuck on 1st gear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Shoz123,

Okay I have some updates. Today I was checking out the car, since yesterday this all happened at night I was just too tired to look around the car.

Anyways, I just noticed I have 1st and 2nd gear. But I can only go to first gear by manually shifting the car to it, so I need to have it on D1 for it to work, so now im thinking 2nd gear is what its stuck on. I came to this conclusion because when I had it in D1, the RPMs rose to 3-4k at only 15-25 MPH, and if I have it on normal D w/ OD on at those RPMs it goes to about 40 MPH.

Can this also be a speed sensor problem? If so, where is it located?

Does this still sound like a TRS/MLP problem?

If so, Im going to the junkyard to find one and test it out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about this post, but something weird happeend today. The car started to shift gears all by itself.....

I added a Lucas Additive after i noticed that, so im hoping all is good. One little thing though, I here a ticking noise near the tranny. When I put the car in Drive, the ticking noise goes faster. Anything I should worry about?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sorry about this post, but something weird happeend today. The car started to shift gears all by itself.....

I added a Lucas Additive after i noticed that, so im hoping all is good. One little thing though, I here a ticking noise near the tranny. When I put the car in Drive, the ticking noise goes faster. Anything I should worry about?
[/b]
Sounds like you got crud built up in your tranny IMO. That Lucas additive just cleaned your valves but you still have the crap in the pan. If your tranny hasn't had the fluid changed regularly.. your probably looking at a new transmission buddy.

I managed to save mine in time by changing the fluid (61,560 miles and it started to malfunction(stupid me forgot to change the transfluid...), fluid change fixed it.). But if you haven't had the 30K done on the car around every 30K.. then your probably going to have resin build up in the tranny which is keeping the thing running. changing the fluid will remove the resins and your transmission will cease to function.

Either way.. your looking at a new transmission IMO.

Feel free to disagree with me everyone else.. Thats why i said IMO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't disagree with anyone, I know im in for a new tranny. I had the tranny fluid changed every 45k miles. I know a bit late but each to his own right?

I just hope I can get a few more miles on this tranny until I can come up with the money to get a rebuilt tranny and have it installed. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would at least drop the pan and change the filter, it shouldn't hurt anything and it's probably full of debris anyway

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I would at least drop the pan and change the filter, it shouldn't hurt anything and it's probably full of debris anyway
[/b]
Seconded. My friend's 95' Has a resin dependent tranny and we just filter her trans fluid change the filter and clean the magnet then refill it. (with the filtered trans fluid)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy **** guys! you guys pin pointed the problem! I replaced the MPS/TRS and changed the filter. Tranny shifts smoothly and and no longer jerks when changing into 2nd gear.

Thank you guys and thank you for saving me an early $1200.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Holy **** guys! you guys pin pointed the problem! I replaced the MPS/TRS and changed the filter. Tranny shifts smoothly and and no longer jerks when changing into 2nd gear.

Thank you guys and thank you for saving me an early $1200.
[/b]
Sometimes its the simplest things that cause the most problems... :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Im so grateful for all the help I got from you guys. Im going to replace the fluid on the tranny in the next few days and do a flush, replacing the filter again for safe keeping :p.
:mj_banana:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts