Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a month ago my girlfriend bottomed my 98 SE taurus (3.0 duratec duel cam)
it punctured the transmission pan and leaked out the fluid over a few days. I had them fix it and all they did was replace the pan and refill the fliud, though insurance would have covered a full transmission replacement, they found nothing wrong with the drivability of it. About 2 weeks later whenever i come to a stop it studders and sometimes stalls out (now it just gaurenteed stalls out at stop), reverse is as much of a pain.

I replaced the IAC motor and reset the computer by unplugging the battery for 2 hours. Still no dice, it seems like it helped it a little but it still stumbles when in drive or reverse, particularly reverse. When i put it in reverse it rpms up high when going from nuetral to reverse and then as fast as it goes up it goes down and then stalls(sometimes does this in drive too), also at stop signs the car will shudder at like 500rpm and thenlose it all together. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds like the torque converter is fried. How long did you run it low on fluid?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
how does insurance cover it? even if you have comp...?

If i hit a pothole in the road and screw my front end, can i ask my insurance guys..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would never have related the two together, the way this feels is like its just stalling out, whenever i mess with the IAC it seems to bget a little better. When i replaced the iac it didn't stall out at idle it was fine or it bordered 500 and shuttered the car. after driving on teh highway for 30 mins i got off the highway and pulled into the driveway and it started again. (when it first started it only ONLY did it when the car was completly warmed up)

(i think i drove it for like 2 days on low fluid and about 2 minutes without fluid at all)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by Ender0Wiggin@Jan 6 2004, 07:45 PM
(i think i drove it for like 2 days on low fluid and about 2 minutes without fluid at all)
You drove it without fluid at all? That will definately toast your TC and planetary gearset

·
Registered
222 Posts
when you come to a stop and as its stalling out what happens if you put in nuteriel? If the rpms go up two 3K or more then goes back down to 8 hundred to 1k, and only whants to stall out when you put it back in drive then the IAC is not the problem. possibly the transmission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and i meant to add, this sseems to be some code, after driving for 5 minutes on occassion my overdrive light will turn on and start flashing. Is this a engine code?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Yes, it is. It's a Transmission problem code. Take it in to have it diagnosised

·
Registered
411 Posts
It sounds like the TCC is not disengaging. Try shifting to netural at lights or idle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts