Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is for my sister's 96 GL. A couple weeks ago she noticed a shifting issue with her car which is driven about 1k/week. She never told anybody and now it's slipping BAD. Had it to a local shop who said there is metal in the pan so I'm assuming it's toast, but he said he thought it was probably something minor. Now having driven on it for another week it's to the point that it could go any min now. The car has 123k on it and other than the trans it runs and drives fine, just the typical cosmetic issues with an 8 yr old car.

Now my question is based on this VIN what trans do I need to buy and is this something that I swap in my driveway (I can turn a wrench and have a fair amount of tools). The VIN is

1FALP52U3TA135984

Also anybody know of a person/place selling one CHEAP?

Thanks for any help.

Guy

G

·
I can tell by the "U" engine code that it has the 3.0l OHV engine, but we can't tell what trans it has with the VIN. That information is on the door sticker, however I forget what the codes are. I'm sure someone that knows will post up with the info.

Most of the Vulcan engined cars, however, got the AX4S transmission. The lowest price I've seen for a rebuilt unit is from Phoenix Hard Parts.

Depending on your equipment, you may be able to do this in your driveway. The subframe will need to be dropped, and the engine held up. That will require either an engine hoist or one of those engine supports that runs across the fender rails. Pretty common stuff to rent. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. I would suggest getting a Haynes manual for the car. This is actually one area that they did a pretty good job of documenting.

While you're at it, if the coolant's brown in the car, check to make sure it has a bypass tube from the passenger's side heater hose to the driver's side heater hose. If it doesn't, add it in. Also, flush the cooling system Per these instructions and you should have no problems. As these cars are aging, I'm seeing more head gasket problems associated with brown coolant and plugged heater cores. It happened to mine, twice.

Let us know if you need any more help, and also, I'm located in RI. If you're close enough, I'd be happy to help out.

-Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob thanks for the info. I'm off to Autozone today to get the Haynes manual. I plan on adding a trans cooler if I do this job, probably a B&M as well as doing the rest of the basic maintenace that may have been overlooked recently, so the coolant flush will be done also. I'm located in Reading, PA, might be just a bit of a drive for ya but thanks for the offer :D I have a friend who works for Ford that might be able to get me a trans on the very very cheap. He was able to grab an older C6 for $100 new so hopefully something even remotely close would be very welcome :) Anyway I will post up after I find out a little more.......

Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts