Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had absolutely zero signs of a failing transmission. Car ran beautifully.

04 taurus, 3.0 l

I drove it not even a mile to the local store, nothing wrong. I park and go inside and buy a 2 liter and come out, start my car and put it in reverse and the engine Revs but the car don't move. Same thing in all gears. I pop the hood and the car is still on and it's quiet, no noises or anything. Except I notice a decent amount of trans fluid under my vehicle near the front of the passenger side.

I have zero skill at this and don't know what to do. Any ideas on what it can be or if I need to just junk the car.

All help appreciated. I can't afford much and literally just bought this vehicle in January with 118k miles on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the car wasn't warmed up and the trans fluid dipstick was reading it had fluid in it. I think it was high but I thought it was normal seeing as the vehicle was not warmed up to op temp. It was 50 degrees out as well if that helps

·
Super Moderator
7,953 Posts
Likely one of the cooling lines developed a leak due to rust.

Are you checking fluid level correctly? Fluid at operating temp, car on level ground, All auto transmissions are very sensitive to correct fluid level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was scared to run it to op temp after it just stopped going into gears. It was cold when I checked it. Will a transmission stop working if it lost fluid to prevent damage?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have you had any recent work done to the engine or transmission? Even if it was a simple oil change maybe someone accidentally bent or kinked one of the transmission cooling lines. Did you have a recent transmission service where they would have had the pan off to put in a new filter? The leak may be a simple fix. Another thing to check is there is a small vent cap on top of the transmission, it's in the area under the throttle body. The little cap should feel loose and wiggle, if it got pushed down it may not vent properly and could cause the transmission fluid to be forced out somewhere. The symptoms of suddenly not having any forward or backward gear makes me think it could be the torque converter splines have stripped but if it were me I would first try to figure out the leak and recheck fluid levels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check after work today. I will let you know, I cannot get back to the vehicle until 6pm and it's only noon here. I didn't have enough light to get under the vehicle and look or even see good with the hood propped up. The a/c condenser was recently replaced and an oil change was done at the same time. About a month ago

·
Registered
605 Posts
$250 is too high. Is it the same shop that worked on it last?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds like a high price just to look at it, most places will glance at it and give an estimate. I would look elsewhere unless that is the prim o shop in town.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pushed the car to the shop. A worker was there even though they were closed and he had me start it and today it's whining bad. He said there's nothing he can see leaking under vehicle after revving it and trying to change gears. But he said he can't tell me anything until they actually inspect the vehicle tomorrow. My heart sunk. I can't afford a new car and I'm so close to homeless. I just can't catch a break in life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the shop can't find any fluid leaks other than a small oil leak on my gasket to oil pan. The light display for park reverse neutral so on is not working and it worked the day my car stopped working. I'm wondering if it's the computer and maybe torque converter. They quoted me 3500 for a remanufactured trans, install and replacing the oil pan gasket and oil change.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Converter failure most likely, trans out service. I wouldn't replace the transmission if it was working fine before, but just torque converter parts and labor will still run you around a grand.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interesting that your shift indicator quit working at the same time. Just out of curiosity look at the shift linkage on top of the transmission, drivers side, and make sure the linkage is still connected and the black plug of the wire harness is connected. Maybe have someone move the shifter through the gears as you watch that linkage to make sure it's functioning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had absolutely zero signs of a failing transmission. Car ran beautifully.

04 taurus, 3.0 l

I drove it not even a mile to the local store, nothing wrong. I park and go inside and buy a 2 liter and come out, start my car and put it in reverse and the engine Revs but the car don't move. Same thing in all gears. I pop the hood and the car is still on and it's quiet, no noises or anything. Except I notice a decent amount of trans fluid under my vehicle near the front of the passenger side.

I have zero skill at this and don't know what to do. Any ideas on what it can be or if I need to just junk the car.

All help appreciated. I can't afford much and literally just bought this vehicle in January with 118k miles on it.
With 99.9 percent sure! I will tell you it is the torque converter! The hole to where the spline goes into wallows out and you need to buy a new one with hardened seat! Done many of them! Costly if you not have cheap mechanic! It can be done in your garage but it is a job! Have to support motor and pull transmission and axle from one side! JP

·
Super Moderator
7,953 Posts
"Interesting that your shift indicator quit working at the same time. Just out of curiosity look at the shift linkage on top of the transmission, drivers side, and make sure the linkage is still connected and the black plug of the wire harness is connected. Maybe have someone move the shifter through the gears as you watch that linkage to make sure it's functioning."

^^^^^^^^^^^ This!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Interesting that your shift indicator quit working at the same time. Just out of curiosity look at the shift linkage on top of the transmission, drivers side, and make sure the linkage is still connected and the black plug of the wire harness is connected. Maybe have someone move the shifter through the gears as you watch that linkage to make sure it's functioning.
Good catch, I didn't notice that he mentioned that. Defintely worth checking first.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mike, how did this turn out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts