Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I noticed that if it's 80 degree plus outside and im driving in the city my transmission temp will get up 195 degrees. To me that seems a little high but not sure. Anyone elses get this hot?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If I'm thinking correctly 210* should be max temp on MERCON and 250* max for MERCON V

I would always add a Trans Cooler and take it off your radiator's built in Trans cooler unless you have the pipe below the radiator type, where it would be fine to leave if it isn't clogged.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Over 180 is pushing it on these, in my opinion. No data to back that but my B&M cooler keeps things in the 140-160 range under normal driving. This is also with 3/8in barbs in the transmission, all new 3/8 cooler hoses and bypassed radiator cooler.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a pipe below the radiator with fins on it, is that the oem tranny cooler?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Follow the lines out on the passenger side. There should be a PS cooler too. But if you trace back the radiator oil line it leads to the cooler you want. It is too small anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I monitor mine cosntantly with the ScanGauge. City driving is the worst for it. I often go to 190, even at moderate outside temperatures. Being stuck a while bumper to bumper definitely lifts it above 200. Highway in OD is a little better - about 180 usually. Cruising in D is even better, about 150-170.
I don't use snythetic fluid.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
190-200 is common for me in the summer, downtown driving. Highway summer can see it not much over 180...usually its between 150-170.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts