Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 SHO with a dead transmission.

Is it possible to find a used transmission to put in its place to keep costs down?

Aside from the Transmission is great mechanical shape, there are few cosmetic blemishes but nothing major so I think the car is worth fixing.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Depends on what happened. Considering to have the tranny R&R by a shop the cost for that alone could be $400-$600. But if the TC was what was bad that can be had for $100-$150 but would require R&R and a valve body, which would not require tranny R&R, can be had for under $100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Apr 15 2009, 12:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717937
Depends on what happened. Considering to have the tranny R&R by a shop the cost for that alone could be $400-$600. But if the TC was what was bad that can be had for $100-$150 but would require R&R and a valve body, which would not require tranny R&R, can be had for under $100.[/b]

Thanks for the reply, but what you said pretty much went over my head. When it comes to the inner workings of this stuff I know the basics and thats about it ;).

Basically what happened was the car started running at higher than normal RPMs for any given speed above 50 MPH (at least thats where I noticed it). So say at 65 it would be running at 2.5k were as normally it would be roughly right around 2.1-2.2. At this point I limited driving the car to around town sub 6 miles.

When I took the car in there was a code for a bad solenoid in the transmission so I assumed that would be the fix but when he took it apart he found the transmission filter floating in the pan. Shortly thereafter the transmission died it won't take any gears. My local mechanic said it was the pump but with the filter being out I suppose there is no way to tell the extent of the damage?

Aside from the higher than normal RPM it shifted and ran fine so I'm not sure what to think. I had the fluid flushed about a year go but wouldn't think the filter could have been out that long?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm prospecting a 98 with a slipping transmission. It probably needs to be completely redone. Any comments?

·
Registered
71 Posts
sounds like it puked...if it was the conv,,u wudve had shuddering prob before ,,and if the filter was in the pan,,sounds like it blew out,,dont forget to install a in line trans fluid filter from ford after rebuild,or replace ,,to avoid allowing shavings into the new trans that will be in the cooler ,and lines,,as the smallest shavings will fk up the valve body very quikly...

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Either rebuild it or replace it with a 98/99 SHO AX4N tranny. Without a doubt, replace the torque converter and bellhousing seal while you're in there.
If you rebuild it, have the rebuilder install a TransGo AX4N shift kit. This does HUGE good for the tranny by reworking the oiling system as well as tightening up the shift points.
Then, throw a trans oil cooler on it and the thing should live forever.

More important than the tranny -Is the car WELDED?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Although he does mention that it is. No pictures indicating they have. It's got 162000km on it. Guy says it runs but it just slips when car is warmed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Apr 15 2009, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718015
Either rebuild it or replace it with a 98/99 SHO AX4N tranny. Without a doubt, replace the torque converter and bellhousing seal while you're in there.
If you rebuild it, have the rebuilder install a TransGo AX4N shift kit. This does HUGE good for the tranny by reworking the oiling system as well as tightening up the shift points.
Then, throw a trans oil cooler on it and the thing should live forever.

More important than the tranny -Is the car WELDED?[/b]
I found a used SHO AX4N in fairly close proximity in the 60k range so I think thats the route I'll take.

I've only known about the cam issue for 8 months or so after I heard about someone else's car in area car dieing. Honestly I was planning on getting rid of the car after this (repairs are just too expensive) and it looks very few places do the welding so I don't think it's gona happen...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts