Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if i should do a tranny flush and a fliter change my car has 63 000 original kms (about 41 500 miles) 2002 taurus with the Vulcan, also, while being on the topic, I should maybe go ahead and change my coolant??

J

·
0 Posts
Hello, welcome to the club! B)

Yes, you should get your tranny fluid flushed if it never has been. Same with the coolant. Tranny flushes are recommended in your service manual every 30k miles, to be safe I try to do mine every 20k. I would do a coolant flush once a year. When you get the tranny done, make sure you take it someplace that can actually flush it and get the torque converter, too. It's generally recommended to add a tranny cooler to your car as well, to help keep the tranny run at a lower temperature to help extend its life. Since you have a Gen 4, your car isn't as susceptible to tranny problems, but you definitely still want to keep up on the maintenance. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting ready to do DIY flush ( remove a cooler line , add fluid while running, tricky and messy but can be done - see google groups search for Dr Bobs transmssion flush method for example , I have done it in the past with other cars ) on a 1999 Sable with 31,k miles . I wondered if I should drop pan and change filter, refill and drive a day before doing this ? BTW, which transmission cooler line coming out of the transaxle is the pressure line ? -thanks

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
On my 94, if you're kneeling in front of the car, you can see a line with a small rubber section going into the factory cooler, the cheap coiled tube. That line is the pressure and it feeds into the cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are going to do a tranny service your self, make sure that you use the proper tranny fluid, for example, my wifes 00 Taurus uses Mercon V, which is what yours should take.

The 3.0L vulcan is a very capable motor, but it has a problem with making your coolant dirty and pluging up your heater core. It is very important to keep the radiator flushed and clean with this motor.

A clean radiator also makes a happy and cool running transmission!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I did a transmission flush at automotive facility on an older Ford and transmission never ran correctly again. For older transmissions, just have the pan dropped, new filter and gasket, and add correct trans fluid. Most repair garages spent big money for the "flush" machine and want to charge high price for this service. No, not on old transmission or high miles transmissions. Get an independent opinion, not from garage that has the "flush" machine. And to do it correctly, you still have to drop pan, replace filter and gasket. So the cost is much more with the "flush".

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
41K miles is not "high mileage". I would have it pressure flushed. That will replace all the tranny fluid. I had mine done about a year ago for around $100 USD. The filter should be replaced at the same time.

I would flush out the cooling system every other year, not every year. If you use a cooling additive/conditioner such as Water Wetter or Blue Ice, you won't have any problems with corrosion in the colling system due to the water.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys guys!! just went ahead and bought my trans fluid and filter, but since i'm doing it myself, do you guys think it's really worth it flushing out the torque converter? If i'm not flushing the torque converter, then what good am I doing?? :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
If you don't flush the trans and you just drain and fill the pan, you're only changing about 1/3 of the fluid. It's better than nothing, but not ideal.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
:withstupid: x2

I'd highly recommend the flush over a drain and fill. If you do that try to find a shop that does a back flush. This flush the flush out in the opposite direction and under pressure from an external pump in the shops equipment. Some shops will do a flush and use the transmission own pump to do the flush. It's not a ba way to do it but the back flush cleans out the crud better. Also keep in mind that when they do a real flush they add an cleaning additive that helps break down build up before the start the flush, if you do a drain and fill you can't do that since 2/3 of the fluid wouldn't be replaced and thus you'd still have that additive in the system (which is bad). Also make sure the shop uses Mercon V, some places will tell you that Mercon V is the same as III and it is not. They are backwards compatable (Mercon III vehicles can use V) but not forwards compatable (no III in a V vehicle).

Well however you decide to proceed good luck. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts