Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but can't find anything. Can anyone point me to a good post that will show me how to properly flush the trans in my car. Also, what is the opinion here regarding Lubegard red and Mercon V in my 2000 Taurus with Vulcan V6? Trans has a bit of torque convertor shudder and I'd like to resolve the problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
The ONLY thing that should go into any tranny is the manufacturers specification fluid. No additives.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I highly recommend (and use) Lubegard RED.
It's solved my 92 AXOD tranny issue and several other on various cars & trucks I work on.
the Lubegard Mercon V (green bottle) works perfectly like it's supposed to. Have it on a Ford Ranger tranny that specs mercon v.. I put dex/mercon 3 and the lubegard converter and it's been fine the last 2 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just flushed the tranny and changed the filter today and used a modified Dexron trans fluid that is equal to and possibly better than Mercon V, at the worst it's perfectly compatible. I checked at several transmission shops and they recommended the trans fluid I used. I did not use the Lubeguard or the Dr. Tranny anti shudder chemical today although I did purchase them and have them on hand. After a short drive the shudder seems to have disappeared but I'll know better after a long highway drive, with everything hot, in a few days from now. If the shudder returns I'll be adding the Lubeguard red and the Dr. Tranny shudder as prescribed by a Lubegard tech agent. I'll let you guys know how it all works out. So far so good.:)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Lubegard has a long list of complaints against them, plus they have had to settle a lot of cases. The FTC has also investigated them for false claims.

Dexron fluid even with an additive is not equal to MerconV, certainly not superior. What Lubegard does is it uses friction modifiers and viscosity modifiers to conceal the problem. There should be no shudder with any fluid. If you have a shudder, your trans has an internal wear problem, possibly a loose/chattering valve or bore valve bore causing fluid bypass.

The correct fluid is MerconV. Most brands will do, but I do recommend the Valvoline or Mobil1. Use a true MerconV, not a multi transmission formula.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
The ONLY additive I stand by is Lucas Automatic Transmission Fix.
Ive got 200,000 miles on a 92 AXOD-E (Supposedly one of the worst according to knowledgeable members) When ever I feel a BIG slip and bang in my shifts I change (NOT FLUSH) and add a FULL bottle of Lucas to the fluid and it goes right away and stays gone for 1000s of miles... Some people say that Lucas "Masks" the problem, but then again if your transmission is slipping anyway its not just gonna revert back to factory performance after you flush the fluid anyway... I stand by Lucas AT/X Fix but do what suits you and your opinion...

MY 2¢

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took my wagon out for a long drive yesterday and noticed that the new replacement trans fluid is delivering excellent shifts and no more TC shudder at all at any time. I can now feel the TC lock and the engine speed lower when it locks up. So far so good. Also, I checked in the genuine Ford factory service manual for trans fluid requirements and it clearly stated to use Mercon V or Mercon V equivalent trans fluid so apparently the new ATF fluid I'm now using is just as good if not better than the original Mercon V ATF. I'm happy and so is my Taurus.:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
you did good

A full synthetic that exceeds mercon v specifications will be fine for your transmission. Read my write up on the flush your trans at home section about my use of amsoil multi fully synthetic fluid. Last week I changed over 8 quarts and changed my filter then put amsoil back in.
This week we picked up both my twins from 2 different colleges . We towed a 10x5 trailer loaded down ,with 4 people about 300 miles. The transmission shifts better than it ever did. As a plus we [email protected] 25 mpg.
I would avoid lubrigard in any transmission. It is a cheap attempt at a fix. Like all quick fixes , it will work ,but only for so long. I would always prefer a full synthetic fluid engineered for the demands of a modern transmission over a friction modifier and viscosity changing agent in a fluid not specified for the transmission. Check this out...

Petro Canada Duradrive MV Synthetic ATF - Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Damn, and I just bought a double girder overhead crane at Walmart yesterday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts