Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked the transmission fluid with the engine running, and after a short trip of 2 miles.
Its right at the top line of cross hatch, so showing full.

Question:
1. I noticed few bubbles in the fluid on the Dip-stick.. does it mean low fluid ?

When the fluid is full hot after 20-30 miles trip, should the level show higher on the dip-stick, than when measuring after a short trip ?

2. Question is after heating, should the level be higher or lower on the dip-stick.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If it's overfilled, then the fluid can get aerated & we'll see bubbles on the dipstick.

So we need to drive about 20 miles to fully warm up the tranny fluid in order to get an accurate fluid level read.

So for an accurate dipstick reading, after driving 20 miles, stop on level gound, set the parking brake & shift into ALL gears, including "Reverse", pausing long enough to feel each gear engage, ending in "P", or "N", then raise the hood, pull the tranny dipstick to check it for foam, clean & reinsert it & remove again for a level reading.

By then you should have a good feeling of where things stand.

The tranny pump isn't designed to pump aerated fluid, so performance & shifting is likely to act out & slipping, loss of power, or delayed shifting are some more symptoms to go along with dipstick foam, for your over filled suspect list.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 10 2009, 10:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707274
If it's overfilled, then the fluid can get aerated & we'll see bubbles on the dipstick.

So we need to drive about 20 miles to fully warm up the tranny fluid in order to get an accurate fluid level read.

So for an accurate dipstick reading, after driving 20 miles, stop on level gound, set the parking brake & shift into ALL gears, including "Reverse", pausing long enough to feel each gear engage, ending in "P", or "N", then raise the hood, pull the tranny dipstick to check it for foam, clean & reinsert it & remove again for a level reading.

By then you should have a good feeling of where things stand.

The tranny pump isn't designed to pump aerated fluid, so performance & shifting is likely to act out & slipping, loss of power, or delayed shifting are some more symptoms to go along with dipstick foam, for your over filled suspect list.[/b]
i drove my bull for about 30 miles( from work yestrday) then check the fluid level of the tranny, no oil/fluid touch the dipstick. is this mean i need to add some fluids. actually before a start the the car before going to work, i check the level and its seems like it has very high reading(according to the dipstick). i need to know like where must see/reach the oil on the dipstick when checking. so i dont overfill the tranny.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Yup, if you checked it as I outlined above, it means the fluid level is low, so you need to add some, until it's in the cross hatch area on the dipstick, AFTER you've driven it to fully warm the tranny fluid, as it expands when warm.

Checking the auto tranny fluid level when it's cold & the engine is off, like we check the engine oil level, isn't the correct way to check an auto tranny fluid level.

Fluid from up in the tranny, drains back into the tranny pan & will read high on the dipstick if the engine isn't running.

So you need to drive it until the tranny fluid is warm & check it as I've outlined above, while on level ground, with the engine idling & add say a half pint at a time, until the tanny fluid is within the dipstick cross hatch area.

Go slow & don't add too much too quick, or you'll have to pump some out the dipstick fill tube, as overfilling an auto tranny, is a no no too!!!.

If the fluid isn't staying in the tranny after a drive, then you have a leak somewhere that needs attention.

Running the tranny low on fluid isn't good for it or the fluid.

If the fluid is too low, the tranny pump can suck air too & being low causes the fluid thats in there to have to work harder, run hotter, trying to lube & cool the tranny & if it's low enough to suck air, the trany pump isn't designed to pump areated fluid & areated fluid doesn't carry heat well, nor lubricate well & will cause the tranny fluid operating pressure to drop, clutches to slip, more heat to build up & the tranny to cook in it's own juices & the fluid to gum, gel, or varnish things up & shifting to suffer & if neglected long enough, the tranny to give up the ghost, a vicious cycle.

So we need to pay close attention to our tranny fluid level & condition of the fluid, check it often & change it with the specified fluid on time as called for in our scheduled maintenance guide!!!!

Trannies are a sealed system, they don't consume fluid while doing their thing, so check your fluid as outlined above, add the specified fluid in small amounts until the level is right & keep a check on it, as it sounds like you have a fluid leak somewhere.

Tranny pan fastners coming loose & a leak at the pan gasket is a common problem point. So have a peek under there & see if that area is wet with tranny fluid.

If so, try re-torquing the tranny pan fastners in the specified criss cross pattern, so you don't warp the tranny pan & tighten them to the specified torque.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 17 2009, 05:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709552
Let us know how it goes.[/b]
thanks Paw! i did add 2 quarts of fluids last night.(with engine idle) and there is no marks of oil into the parking ground (except into the engine area). so there is no leak from the tranny. i will check again(tranny fluid) later at home, and will post if something unsual happen. ;)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Good grief taurus GL'97, TWO qts low!!!!

Thats a significant amount & as I posted above, trannies are a sealed system & don't consume fluid while doing their thing, so unless you or someone else serviced your tranny & didn't put enough in, you likely have a SERIOUS leak some where that needs attention NOW.

So keep a daily check on the fluid level.

If the fluid has been low & you've driven it that way for a length of time, the fluid is likely cooked & it & the tranny filter needs to be changed AFTER you find & repair the leak.

Keep us posted on what you find.

SO, ab_sood, how is your foamy fluid on the tranny dipstick diagnosis going????

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 18 2009, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709950

Thats a significant amount & as I posted above, trannies are a sealed system & don't consume fluid while doing their thing, so unless you or someone else serviced your tranny & didn't put enough in, you likely have a SERIOUS leak some where that needs attention NOW.

If the fluid has been low & you've driven it that way for a length of time, the fluid is likely cooked & it & the tranny filter needs to be changed AFTER you find & repair the leak.

SO, ab_sood, how is your foamy fluid on the tranny dipstick diagnosis going????[/b]

It was because of the low fluid level.
Though the fluid was right at the full mark of the cross hatch on the dipstik, but the Tranny was acting stupid. sometime rough down-shift, sometime rough up-shift. as I mentioned in my previous posts.

I did some research, and found that when the fluid pressure in the Tranny is low, it cause it to down-shift rough.
And when the sensors detects the low pressure, they try to run the fluid at the max pressure, that cause the tranny to bang into every gear.

I spoke to a mechanic and he told me that the Taurus tranny's are badly designed, and they need to be over filled by a quart, even when the dipstik reads full. I added 2 quarts, and the bubbles dis-appeared. And also all the problems.

Also, the air bullble in fluid doesnt let the hydraulic pressure to be maintained properly, thus causing weird shifts.

In last 3 months, i have added 3 quarts.. 2 quarts fluid and 1/2 quart Trans tune and 1/2 quart lucas. So, its leaking somewhere at rate of 1 quart a month. I see few drops every morning on the drive way, but they dont look like ATF, and more like coolant.

Anyway, its not worth fixing it, its just a quart a month. Also, its keeping the tranny on fresh fluid, free tranny flush :D

Before that I added full bottle Trans Tune, assuming that the sticky valves were causing the low pressure, but that didnt help.

I will do a detailed write up of the problem and the solution, in a separate thread.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't understand how moderate overfilling can lead to aeration?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
As I understand it, over filling an auto tanny such that the fluid level reaches the rotating parts, will let those rotating parts whip the tranny fluid into an aerated froth that the pump can't handle.

Thus line pressures drop, clutches slip, heat builds & the tranny cooks in it's own juices, while the tranny fluid oxidizes, turns to gum, varnish, sludge & hangs things up!!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 18 2009, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710010
As I understand it, over filling an auto tanny such that the fluid level reaches the rotating parts, will let those rotating parts whip the tranny fluid into an aerated froth that the pump can't handle.

Thus line pressures drop, clutches slip, heat builds & the tranny cooks in it's own juices, while the tranny fluid oxidizes, turns to gum, varnish, sludge & hangs things up!!!![/b]

Over filling never cause bubbling.
Taurus tranny's needs to be over-filled for normal operation - poor design.

Froth / bubble is caused by the low tranny fluid, as the pump sucks air into the fluid.

The bubbles in fluid reduces the lubrication of tranny parts, and also leads to heat build up.
So, if the fluid level is too low, on a hot day / long drive the heat build up can cook the parts.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If too much is put in, It will just puke out the tranny vent. A bit over is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I've never seen a Ford factory document that recommends overfilling any of their automatic transmissions.

It's certainly not good practice imo.

The newer auto trannies don't have dip sticks/fill tubes, to help prevent folks from overfilling their trannies.

I'd be careful about overfilling any auto tranny, for the reasons I've outlined.

ab_sgood, are you certain you have the correct dipstick in your tranny????

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Ford factory documentation is not the always the end solution.

I never saw a Ford documentation that recommended welding the cams on a Taurus Gen 3 SHO......

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pawpaw

I dont care if its overfilled..
the whole idea is, the problem is resolved.

If I would have let it act like that.. it would certainly have failed in few months.

I was about to sell the car because of this problem, and got a good price also. But ended up keeping it because of some personal problems.

I am happy that the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Hey, can't argue with a satisfied customer!!!! lol

Good to hear all is well for now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 18 2009, 05:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709950

SO, ab_sood, how is your foamy fluid on the tranny dipstick diagnosis going????[/b]
for the past four days il been cheking the fluid level and it seems ok (always on full mark), i think they (last owner) dnt put enough fluids on the tranny. dont see any bubles on the dipstick on or before i pour the 2qts on it. and also i dont want to overfill the tranny as i read some post that it works for other tranny. this forum is very helpful :thumb:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
OK, so apparently you don't have a gross leak, but I'd check the tranny fluid level every time you gas up for a while, until your sure it doesn't have a slow leak.

Hopefully it was as you supposed, that the previous owner just didn't put enough in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 22 2009, 08:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711053
OK, so apparently you don't have a gross leak, but I'd check the tranny fluid level every time you gas up for a while, until your sure it doesn't have a slow leak.

Hopefully it was as you supposed, that the previous owner just didn't put enough in.[/b]
yep hope so! :x: so i can move to the next problem.. :) fun never stop with my bull :ford:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts