Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo! I'm about to do a transmission fluid change on my 2006 Taurus. I went to my local 'Zone today to get some prices on a filter (and buy 14 individual quarts of Castrol Mercon V for $110.00) and was told there were two different ones. Funny enough, when I looked them up at my store, It only showed one. How do I know I'm getting the right thing? The ID tag is pretty much completely faded away so that's not gonna help any.

That said, anybody recommend a specific filter? Like Wix or Mann or something?

Also, the pan bolts. The heads are probably quite rusted, had issues with the oil pan but i can't for the life of me remember where I bought the bolts for that.
Sorry if this was asked before but the search doesn't seem to be working.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just got 6 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V on Amazon for a little under $15.00 and first order free shipping. I have the AX4N. Neck of filter seal is green. Look it up on Rock Auto. I think the bolts are pan head bolts, metric, match one up at a good hardware store. Be careful to not overtighten bolts. If original gasket it is reusable

Scott

·
Registered
50 Posts
Motorcraft FT-130. Or the ones made by SPX-Filtran, sold under several part numbers online. The one with the green seal retrofits back. Just look for the green seal, really.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Green seal, got it, thank you!
Is genuine Motorcraft really the way to go on this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Only suggested Motorcraft for you because it may be the easiest to get. A local transmission shop should be able to fix you up with the SPX Filtran. And as mentioned above, the original pan gasket is reusuable, but be careful, or you will be buying one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mercon V on Amazon for a little under $15.00 and first order free shipping. I have the AX4N. Neck of filter seal is green. Look it up on Rock Auto. I think the bolts are pan head bolts, metric, match one up at a good hardware store. Be careful to not overtighten bolts. If original gasket it is reusable

Scott
I did some reading this morning and it sounds like the Valvoline ain't very good anymore, at least for MercV. People were saying it's too thin, and it's not even licensed by Ford anymore. Could be wrong but Castrol is one of the few licensed/certified MercVs on the market. Plus, they look better on my shelf :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aft for you because it may be the easiest to get. A local transmission shop should be able to fix you up with the SPX Filtran. And as mentioned above, the original pan gasket is reusuable, but be careful, or you will be buy
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. I will buy a new gasket anyway since mine's leaking a bit (I'll check the pan with a straightedge too). Figure I can probably buy a better gasket seperarty than the one rolled into a ball in the filter box :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about Carquest filters? They any good?

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
304 Posts
ATF: You can get 12 quarts of Ford Motorcraft Mercon V ATF from Amazon for $70. If you've got Prime (or sign up for a freebie month) it's free delivery.

Filter: I'd get a Motorcraft or Wix (or Napa Gold line). If you have the 4XAN, the Motorcraft filter is about $18, also at Amazon.

I picked up a Fel-Pro gasket at O'Reilly's after I did a quick sketch of the pan shape. I think it was under $15.

Sorry I can't help on the bolts. I've been lucky that mine was a California car and it has zero rust after 22 years.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just got 6 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V on Amazon for a little under $15.00 and first order free shipping. I have the AX4N. Neck of filter seal is green. Look it up on Rock Auto. I think the bolts are pan head bolts, metric, match one up at a good hardware store. Be careful to not overtighten bolts. If original gasket it is reusable

Scott
That Amazon price is a steal. If I didn't already have a lifetime supply (that I got at $1 a quart), I would stock up.

I wouldn't worry that it isn't officially licensed. Valvoline used to have a licensed product but didn't want to keep paying for the license. I've been using it for a long time now without a problem and Valvoline is an excellent company.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
16 Posts
The transmissions all have the same filter it depends if it's 19 bolt or 17 bolt pan and do not do full fluid flush just do the pan wipe out the bottom with the metal shavings clean the magnet off put it back bolt it up and top off the mercon v fluid. If you have the solid gasket on the tranny pan you can reuse it. Most of the time advance in AutoZone will give you the wrong gasket but the correct filter and make sure you clear the nipple for the filter get all the plastic out before you insert the new filter.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey rjacket,

Thanks for your thoughts on Valvoline Mercon V. I agree with you do not care whether it is currently licensed by Ford. This product used to be and for a nearly obsolete product which cannot amount for huge sales do not blame them for not paying the licensing fee. On Advance Auto 1 quart of Valvoline Mercon V goes for $7.99, so 6 quarts for about $14.00 is a killer price. I do not think a huge company like Valvoline would allow the specs and quality of their product to deteriorate. This would result in many product liability lawsuits. Advisor Jeff K has written more than once, do not put anything other than Mercon V in your transaxle that calls for Mercon V. I read that Ford no longer manufactures nor sells Mercon Transmission Fluid. By the way, Super Tech (Walmart) Mercon V is $4.82 per quart. So Valvoline at less than half the price of Super Tech is a killer price. From my reading on "Bob is the oil guy" doubt that Ford or Motorcraft actually manufacture their oil or transmission fluid.

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts