Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would toss out this question. Is the transmission in the Taurus a weak spot?

The reason I ask is Two weeks ago my sister inlaws tranny went on her 1999 Taurus wagon with no warning. (she just bought it 2 months before) first quote was $2700. However the dealer she bought it from replaced it for $1600 (a rebuilt) and split the cost with her. This was at 92,000 miles.

The same week my niece had her tranny fail on her 1997 Taurus. She has 130,000
miles on her's. She has gotten the same quote of $2700 to replace but is opting to find a a used tranny.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Yes. Hugely. Get a transmission cooler on the rebuild, can't empasize that enough. They only run about $50-70 and are easy to install. They are good when they have the additional cooling, a timebomb without. Search the website to find stories and accounts about the Taurus transmission. Sorry to hear about the failures, they are an all-to-common story here, but inform yourself on this site and you'll fare much better.

Good luck,
Tom

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Unfortunately, yes. The Taurus is generally a good car, but with so many on the road, and the resale value being so poor, many times when the transmission fails, the cost outweighs the market value of the vehicle.

I hate to say it, but it looks like my transmission may be on the way out too. The right inner axle seal is leaking at 81K miles and the fluid is not red. I'm going to try a flush and filter change with some Auto-Rx. Hopefully that can hold it long enough for me to build another transmission with a shift kit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is the best brand and model transmission cooler kit for a 1997 Taurus SE (Duratec, AT) that I can buy?

I have read lots of posts that recommend adding one but I don't remember anyone saying that there is one or two that is better than the rest.

My car is at the Ford place now for the second round of tranny problems and I am ready to improve the situation since I need to keep this car for a couple more years.

Thanks in advance!

Eddie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts