Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Deville with the Northstar V8

So the car will go fine around the block, but once it cycles through the gears and you come to a stop, it won't go like it should. Feels like it doesnt have any fluid, but it's full. It's like it can't pressurize the lower gears again. Let it sit, it works once again around the block. Any ideas? Torque converter maybe? :dunno:
Fluid is unburnt and full.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Who's Mike D? :dunno:

·
Registered
328 Posts
You know, this almost makes me think electronics. My line of reasoning here is that something cycles through the shift pattern, then needs a reboot to work right again, like some sensor in there is playing hell or something.

I mean, look at it like this.....mechanically, it works. No slip, it shifts, all that jazz, yes? I'm certain you tried simply killing it and re-starting it to jolt the electrics. I think a longer test drive is order here. What does it do if you romp it? Does it slip? Does it downshift, and pull? What about 4th? Will it make it to Overdrive?

The only truly mechanical thing I could think is if the valve body is all ****** and has trash in it. Of course, that could still be electrics, because there's a shitload of solenoids in there.

Man, I need to know more about this.....

Zorin

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Longer test drive you say...

It made it from San Antoinio to Tulsa and the only thing, abou5t 2.5 hrs in, it wouldnt hit 4th gear correctly, tcc won't lock up either. In Tulsa, it became undriveable and I had to have it towed to Denver.
If it starts acting up, after cycling the gears, I can kill it, restart and it will still act stupid, it has to sit for an hour or so, like the fluid has to flow back down again. Shifts between gears are fine, quick and firm (at least for the 1st time), but after you stop, it is slipping something serious. It is actually in first, but in order to move, you have to give it some serious throttle, then you get rolling slowly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hot damn!

Your last paragraph clinched it for me! Dude, replace the filter in the thing. I'll bet what's happening is that the filter is somehow compromised, or has **** in the bottom of the pan, and when you first drive it, the **** starts sucking up to the filter. Now, the reason it needs an hour to start working again, is because all that **** has to fall away from the filter......and don't forget that it could be the filter element itself.

Of course, if an automatic transmission is low on fluid, it will either severely slip, or just not engage.

What do you think?

Zorin

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Zorin @ Jun 18 2009, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733323
Hot damn!

Your last paragraph clinched it for me! Dude, replace the filter in the thing. I'll bet what's happening is that the filter is somehow compromised, or has **** in the bottom of the pan, and when you first drive it, the **** starts sucking up to the filter. Now, the reason it needs an hour to start working again, is because all that **** has to fall away from the filter......and don't forget that it could be the filter element itself.

Of course, if an automatic transmission is low on fluid, it will either severely slip, or just not engage.

What do you think?

Zorin[/b]
Filter and fluid are 3-4 months old. Fluid is clean :dunno:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I still think you should pull the pan and have a look-see.

I'm certain it is one of two things.....it's either a fluid starvation issue, or an electronics issue.

Zorin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts