Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be changing my tranny fluid and filter on wednesday and I have been thinking about installing a transmission cooler as well. I went to autozone today and they had a few but I wasn't sure what to get, what size my hoses were, how many passes it should have, etc. Does anyone here have any sites they bought their cooler from? Any recommendations on which one to get? I have a 98 Taurus Duratec. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
You can go with tube and fin or stacked plate design. Each have their own plus and negatives. I installed a tube and fin one that is 18k GVW from Hayden (model 1403).

You have 3/8 in hoses.

I got mine from bulkpart.com but they are temporarily out of business due to supply issues. If you are wanting to do this by wednesday you will more then likely need to purchase it locally to you, online would take too long unless you pay for next day.

If you need any help come time to install don't hesitate to ask. I'd also add a magenfine in-line trans filter while you are at it?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not really necessary for me to install the cooler on wednesday, that's just when i'm doing my other work. What does that magnefine filter do? Where would I get one? Do you have any suggestions for where to get the cooler (besides the other place you already said) and which one to get? Also, do i have to get a specific one as far as size or are they all pretty much universal and mount the same way? I just wanna make sure I get one that will fit in my car. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by cowspotter@Jun 6 2004, 11:36 PM
It's not really necessary for me to install the cooler on wednesday, that's just when i'm doing my other work. What does that magnefine filter do? Where would I get one? Do you have any suggestions for where to get the cooler (besides the other place you already said) and which one to get? Also, do i have to get a specific one as far as size or are they all pretty much universal and mount the same way? I just wanna make sure I get one that will fit in my car. Thanks.
Here's a link on the magnefine filter it will explain all (hopefully) that you want to know.

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

It appears that www.bulkpart.com has resolved their supply issues and is open again for business. I'd start by going there and looking at their coolers. There is no one model that will work for your application. They are universal (assuming your transmission lines are 3/8") you just need to know how/where you plan to mount it and then decide the biggest you can fit in that space.

If you mount it in front of the A/C Condenser then you can get a reasonably large (much bigger then required) unit, if you mount it down near the base of your bumper near the openings and above the splash guard then you will be more restricted by the space available. I'd try to get one that does 18K GVW (gross vehicle weight) or larger. Keep in mind anything additional you can add no matter how large or small will help out.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Here's a Pic of my vehicle and the aftermarket trans cooler i installed.

As you can see in my case the stock trans cooler is a long pipe with fins on it
(on some vehicles it's the other w/o the fins). It would be hard to find an aftermarket cooler that would be better then the stock one that would also fit in the same space. It is best to add the aftermarket cooler after the stock one like most users have done, keeping the stock cooler also.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a look at my car today and saw that I don't have access to the radiator from above, it's covered. Do I have to remove the piece covering the top of the radiator to install it? So you put the trans cooler in series with the stock cooler? I thought it was better to put it in by itself, bypassing the stock cooler.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You have to remove the bumper cover if you want to put it behind the upper grille. The piece you're talking about is the header panel. You don't need to pull that out.

The stock cooler, for what it is, could only help cool it down a little more than an auxillary cooler alone. I would do what hightecredneck did and put it on the outlet of the stock cooler. Then the stock cooler acts as a "pre-cooler." Also keep in mind that the trans fluid goes through the radiatior before it hits the stock cooler. I don't know that removing that part of the system would help either.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie@Jun 7 2004, 02:14 PM
You have to remove the bumper cover if you want to put it behind the upper grille. The piece you're talking about is the header panel. You don't need to pull that out.

The stock cooler, for what it is, could only help cool it down a little more than an auxillary cooler alone. I would do what hightecredneck did and put it on the outlet of the stock cooler. Then the stock cooler acts as a "pre-cooler." Also keep in mind that the trans fluid goes through the radiatior before it hits the stock cooler. I don't know that removing that part of the system would help either.
Exactly, sorry i didn't mention that it goes through the radiator also. I assumed that was known. So basically with adding an aftermarket cooler you have three locations it gets cooled at (radiator, stock cooler, aftermarket cooler.)

If you want to install it in the same location i did you can just drop the splashguard from the below the bumper/engine and you have access to the location i installed it at.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by cowspotter@Jun 7 2004, 02:06 PM
So you put the trans cooler in series with the stock cooler? I thought it was better to put it in by itself, bypassing the stock cooler.
Depending on which cooler you purchase it will say right in the instructions that it is best to run them in series with the stock cooler, Hayden does at least.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merch...tegory_Code=TCC

This is the product I was considering purchasing. It looked good since it allows the fluid to warm up before it begins cooling it more. I know you said 18,000 gvw, so that's the one i picked. Do you think this one will fit in the area you installed yours? I'd like to put it there to minimize the installation hassle.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by cowspotter@Jun 7 2004, 09:40 PM
http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merch...tegory_Code=TCC

This is the product I was considering purchasing. It looked good since it allows the fluid to warm up before it begins cooling it more. I know you said 18,000 gvw, so that's the one i picked. Do you think this one will fit in the area you installed yours? I'd like to put it there to minimize the installation hassle.
Mine is 7 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 3/4 and the one you had the link for was 7 1/2 x 11 x 3/4. So taking into account size alone it would fit, the only issue i see is that the lines come out of the bottom of the one you wanted to get versus coming out of the side of the one i got. I chose mine (hayden) since the in/out come out the side instead of the bottom. That doesn't mean it won't fit it just means you might have to route the lines a bit differently since they come out of the bottom of that one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I remember reading that the stock cooler was inside the radiaor, and the secondary was the metal tube going across the front. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Just got a B&M SuperCooler. It exceeds the GVW rating and just says "For Racing" part # 70266. Demsions are 10-1/4"H X 11"W x 1-1/2"D. What i didn't know about this particular cooler is it dosen't come with the hardwear kit (hoses; clamps, fittings) but this is something that is written on the box and, this had to be ordered. So live and learn. It also has threaded inserts instead of the nipples. So there are some extra things I had to buy. This cooler is all black and I belive it is a stacked plate designe, since it says it's 33% more efficient than the same size tube and fine cooler.
The only bad thing about this cooler is, I already have one and this is for my dads car <_< . I have a Hayden medium range cooler. Installed exactly like hightecredneck has on his car. I also noticed and drop on the engine temp gauge :chili: . maybe some time down the road I may by another B&M "racing" SuperCooler and install it on my car.

It couldn't hurt having two on their, right. I think I may try it, if nobdoy knows of any problems that might happin.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Dman, that cooler is HUGE! :blink: I'm sure our ATXs can use the help though. :thumb: I got a smaller one, the 70268, and it's about 7.5" x 11" x .75". It's rated at 19,000GVW, and installs neatly up against the A/C condenser. It also comes with mounting hardware, nipples, hose barbs, and about 4" of tubing.

The only problem with the way Hightec has his cooler installed is that it doesn't get air forced through it by the cooling fans. If you're sitting in stop and go traffic, the air can go around the cooler. If you mount it right up against the radiator, like B&M recommends, the air is forced through the cooler before it reaches the radiator, even if you are standing still. Remember--the ATX temperatures soar in stop and go traffic, since the trans is working harder, and the TC isn't locked up. At highway speeds, your trans will be getting plenty of cooling action, but it doesn't need it, since you aren't shifting much, and the TC is locked up most of the time. With the ATX cooler mounted up against the radiator, it gets extra cooling when you are moving slowly or stopped, since the coolant temps rise and the fans stay on more often in those situations. ...just food for thought.

IMO, anyone driving an ATX Taurus ought to make the investment in a cooler, no matter what type, no matter where or how it's mounted, it is a NECESSARY upgrade.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I do plan on replacing mine in the future with a larger stacked plate cooler and mounting it against the radiator as suggested. I just didn't see a very good way to do that when i installed my current one. I have since seen brackets that others have made and how they have been mounted there. My only concern is with it in front of the radiator will it decrease the efficiency of the radiator at all? I'm talking about a medium to large cooler not the 18K GVW or smaller models.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I wouldn't worry about radiator efficiency. The engine coolant has a thermostat to keep things in check--the ATX doesn't.

If the ATX temp rises a few degrees, it could have an impact of a couple thousand bucks. If the engine temp rises a few degrees, no biggie--you aren't going to blow an engine by running it at 190* instead of 185*. In fact, engine temps won't rise much, since the thermostat will just make the fans come on and thus cool both engine and trans more than normal. :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Cool will definitely have to do that then since about half of my driving is stop and go.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have 2 questions.
1. WHere are you guys saying the correct spot for the tranny cooler is?? In front of the radiator (the side of the radiator that is opposite of the engine, like in hightecredneck's pic) or the other side of the radiator closest to the engine.

2. Does anybody see any problem with add 2 after market tranny coolers?? I know in the winter time it may get too cold but, I plan on putting the car in storage in the winter (Nov 1).

The second question is my main question. The first one is pretty much common sense. You put it where the air is hitting it the hardest. Granted, I could buy a mini electric fan to place in front of the cooler for the stop and go traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by D Man@Jun 27 2004, 10:56 AM
I have 2 questions.
1. WHere are you guys saying the correct spot for the tranny cooler is?? In front of the radiator (the side of the radiator that is opposite of the engine, like in hightecredneck's pic) or the other side of the radiator closest to the engine.

2. Does anybody see any problem with add 2 after market tranny coolers?? I know in the winter time it may get too cold but, I plan on putting the car in storage in the winter (Nov 1).

The second question is my main question. The first one is pretty much common sense. You put it where the air is hitting it the hardest. Granted, I could buy a mini electric fan to place in front of the cooler for the stop and go traffic.
Dylan,

I wouldnt add 2 aftermarket coolers. Things like pressure drop start becoming an issue when you add another cooler like that.

The location of the cooler (like hightecs pic) is fine. Bob helped me install mine and thats where he told me to put it. The holes in the plastic undercover are about at that position, so air will get in there.

They do sell tranny coolers that have fans mounted on them, but I would say thats a little overkill. Plus I couldnt justify paying $100+ bucks for a tranny cooler.

Why are you putting your car in storage?

-Damon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts