Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work yesterday my SES light came on. When I got home I disconncted the ground wire from the battery and took off the gas cap and put it back on. After hooking the battery back up the light was off. Took it to work and home today no problems. Did feel once like it downshifted. Driving my son to football the light came back on. Took it to get scanned and got the following:

DTC P0761
Shift Solenoid C
CKT Performance
or Stuck off

DTC P0734
Gear 4 Ratio
Incorrect

Apparently I've lost 4th gear. I would like to know everything you guys can tell me. I've checked the fluid and it's at the right level. Checked the color on a white napkin and there isn't much red to it. Just a tint. Smelled it and it doesn't smell burnt to me, still could smell the oily smell. I had this flushed at 30,000 miles with one of the machines at a shop. Cost around $100, really not happy about this being that the car now has 52,000 miles on it I'm the original owner and I know it hasn't been abused. I've read this is a weakness but wasn't expecting mine to fail especially this early. If you could give me your opinions and what kind of price range on the repair.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
DTC P0734 from the Ford Service Manual states:

Description: 4th gear failure.

Condition: Incorrect gear ratio while commanding 4th gear.

Symptom: Improper gear selection depending on condition mode and manual lever position: see shift solenoid operation chart. Shift errors may also be due to other internal transaxle concerns (e.g., stuck valves, damaged friction material)

DTC 0761:

Description: Shift Solenoid No. 3 functional failure.

Condition: Mechanical or hydraulic failure of the solenoid.

Symptom: Improper gear selection depending on failure mode and manual lever position (MIL on).

The Service Manual then prescribes performing Pinpoint Test A -- Shift Solenoids...

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Unfortunately, transmissions are outside my area of knowledge...From the sounds of it, the tranny might be okay, they might have to replace a shift solenoid or something...If you take it somewhere and they tell you that you need a new tranny, I'd take it elsewhere for a second opinion...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking it in tomorrow. The owner of the shop told me they have had several corroded connectors and other electronic issues. He said odds are it is not a mechanical issue in which case he would send it out to be re-built or replaced. My friend will be the mechanic working on it so I have no fear of being misled, just hoping for the best. The owner did say that even though odds are it's not a mechanical problem it could be that the solenoid may be blocked or covered or something like that because of a failing transmission. Man I hope not. He noted the 52,000 miles when saying it shouldn't be a mechanical problem.

I misspoke originally when I said I felt it downshift, it didn't slip or anything it was just when I took my foot off the gas at around 40mph it was just a heavy feeling and I hadn't realized at that time that I lost overdrive and I was driving in third gear. Becuase there's no slipping or hard shifting he said I could drive it in, he said the only pain I will feel will be gas mileage. Again I hope he's right, I'll be taking it easy.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Good luck with it! It will be great if it turns out to be a corroded connector or something simple like that...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by HokieSES@Sep 1 2004, 09:17 PM
Good luck with it! It will be great if it turns out to be a corroded connector or something simple like that...
I believe I had the same or similar codes on my 96. Eventually (and I mean a few days...) it started to go neutral and not move at all. I did notice that the fluid had gotten darker in the weeks before this happend. I think the valve was getting stuck or not functioning properly and caused the failure. I ended up having a trans swapped in from a wrecked bull. The trans had already been rebuilt in my car and I was given the option for a free trans from a wrecked bull. Needless to say... I had that swapped in. The fluid in that other trans' torque convertor was still pretty clean so the shop that rebuilt my trans put it in...... :banana:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did the diagnostic and chased it down to this issue covered by Technical Service Bulletin #98-10-7. This may be caused by a broken retaining clip in the valve body that secures the forward clutch control valve and spring in place. They have a new design for the clip which supposedly makes it much better, less likely to break. The shop I go to subletts there mechanical transmission work out and they gave me an estimate of $900. The tranny guy says he has fixed these before and there are a couple more things that need serviced when doing this fix, from his experience. I would get a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. I called the dealership I bought the car from to see if they were willing to do anything for me, they were not. My mechanic told me to call them in case they would since it was a know issue. I'm going to get more estimates, but for now it's looking mighty expensive. If anyone knows of a good transmission mechanic in the cleveland ohio area, let me know. (I live in the Parma, Independence subub area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts