Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello -- got a trany problem / again...- 97 Taurus engine Vulcan replaced with engine from a 98 Sable - the engine and transmission both were supposed to be replaced... I think (don't know for sure) that the engine was replaced but the transmission is the original in my Taurus. The car originally hydroplaned and was stuck in water in a ditch over 1/2 the hood for about 30min. Anyhow, when I got it back from the shop, with the engine and my old transmission (I think) it did not shift right - the rpm's ran too high - the shop said to drive it - I did - for 400 miles and then the transmission quit - I did smell something but I was driving with the windows down and it smelled like truck tires burning - then about 3 miles later - no go on the car. The engine ran fine and the transmission didn't - car just sat there. Had it towed to another shop and they pulled the transmission pan and said water and dirt poured out?! What now? This other shop wants $200 for the towing and draining/ replacing the transmission fluid which I have to pay to get my car. I found another transmission but the place said there are two that could be right. Which transmission is for the original 97 Taurus - is it the AX4N or AX4S ? or what? Please help...Thanks :dunno: :dunno:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (Susan @ Jul 7 2009, 09:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737653
hello -- got a trany problem / again...- 97 Taurus engine Vulcan replaced with engine from a 98 Sable - the engine and transmission both were supposed to be replaced... I think (don't know for sure) that the engine was replaced but the transmission is the original in my Taurus. The car originally hydroplaned and was stuck in water in a ditch over 1/2 the hood for about 30min. Anyhow, when I got it back from the shop, with the engine and my old transmission (I think) it did not shift right - the rpm's ran too high - the shop said to drive it - I did - for 400 miles and then the transmission quit - I did smell something but I was driving with the windows down and it smelled like truck tires burning - then about 3 miles later - no go on the car. The engine ran fine and the transmission didn't - car just sat there. Had it towed to another shop and they pulled the transmission pan and said water and dirt poured out?! What now? This other shop wants $200 for the towing and draining/ replacing the transmission fluid which I have to pay to get my car. I found another transmission but the place said there are two that could be right. Which transmission is for the original 97 Taurus - is it the AX4N or AX4S ? or what? Please help...Thanks :dunno: :dunno:[/b]
On the door sill there's a plate and one part of it reads TR it should be either X (AX4N) or L (AX4S).

It could be either, but the sill plate will identify which is correct.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Never go back to that shop again, ever.

Moral of story, transmission COULD have been saved, if they would have checked the fluid and noticed that there was water in there instead of tranny fluid.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (Susan @ Jul 8 2009, 06:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737895
Help again - I couldn't find that plate on the door sill? any other places?[/b]
On the transmission pan itself (under the car) it should read either AX4N or something else (in the case of the AX4S it could read AX4S, AXODE, etc...) Also, the AX4N has 19 bolts whereas the AX4S has 17 bolts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Jeremiah @ Jul 8 2009, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737982
QUOTE (Susan @ Jul 8 2009, 06:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737895
Help again - I couldn't find that plate on the door sill? any other places?[/b]
On the transmission pan itself (under the car) it should read either AX4N or something else (in the case of the AX4S it could read AX4S, AXODE, etc...) Also, the AX4N has 19 bolts whereas the AX4S has 17 bolts.
[/b][/quote]

Thank you so much - will check it out before the weekend - and will tow it home and figure out what to do next. Already have $2300 in the car and now will need to replace the transmission...wish I could do some of this stuff myself.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts