Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I wanted to readdress the problem I have with my 99 Ford Taurus Wagon SE with a Vulcan and AX4N transmission with 98k miles. It has a hesitation shifting between 1st and 2nd. It only happens after the car has warmed up (been driven 20 miles or so), and it only occurs randomly but does it a lot more in stop and go traffic and much more in warm weather.

It feels like it shifts into neutral for a few seconds and the lurches back into 2nd. I also noticed that it does not have this problem when using Drive to start out and then shifting to Overdrive after the 1st to 2nd shift.
The car has been doing this for a month, however, I finally got tired of it and took it to two tranny shops and they say I need to have a rebuild.

They suggested that the trans is slipping, however, based on replies to my previous post here, it could be the vehicle speed sensor (VSS). Trans shifts perfectly otherwise and does not burn or use any fluid. I had the tranny flushed and it didn't make it improve or make it worse.

Can the VSS have issues in Overdrive but not Drive? According to replies to my previous post, a bad VSS doesn't mean that a code will show, but can it be tested with an electrical meter? I am not a mechanic and it will cost me $280 to replace the VSS.

Thanks in advance for your help,TheWizard

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
You would need a scan tool that can read the VSS PID, and monitor the VSS PID to look for irregularities in the indicated vehicle speed when the tranny acts up.

VSS isnt that hard to replace since you have a Vulcan. A new VSS costs roughly $20. $280 seems steep to replace a VSS on a Vulcan Taurus. WHere did you get that quote from? Dealer? If so, I bet an indy shop would do it for 1/2 that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. What can I say I live in Phoenix(we have California prices)!
Actually I called 3 tranny shops and 2 dealers and the price range was $280-$450.
I will have the VSS PID checked out before I replace the VSS. BTW,it was cool here
the last few days and I noticed the tranny shifted a lot better.
TheWizard

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
You need to MONITOR the VSS PID while driving the car to see what it does when the tranny acts up. A PID is not a code stored in the computer, a PID (Parameter IDentifier) is live, real time data from the computer that can be displayed on a scan tool. If you "have it checked", the person doing the checking would have to drive around, watching the scan tool, until the tranny acts up. Decent scan tools can store live data versus time for later review.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. What can I say I live in Phoenix(we have California prices)!
Actually I called 3 tranny shops and 2 dealers and the price range was $280-$450.
I will have the VSS PID checked out before I replace the VSS. BTW,it was cool here
the last few days and I noticed the tranny shifted a lot better.
TheWizard
Please don't spend that kind of money. Don't give your money to jackasses that have the nerve to charge somebody that kind of money for something simple and easy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You need to MONITOR the VSS PID while driving the car to see what it does when the tranny acts up. A PID is not a code stored in the computer, a PID (Parameter IDentifier) is live, real time data from the computer that can be displayed on a scan tool. If you "have it checked", the person doing the checking would have to drive around, watching the scan tool, until the tranny acts up. Decent scan tools can store live data versus time for later review.
Do you have a recommendation on scan tools?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. I need to keep looking for a better and more reasonably priced repair shop. I will keep you posted on the monitoring of the VSS PID as well.
TheWizard

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^ Classic 99 ax4n vss failure (slipping 1-2 shifts esp. when warm). Vss is almost a maintenance item on a 99 ax4n. Ford must have gotten a faulty batch that model year. As Jeff previously mentioned, $20 part and 1/2 hr. to install. Classic tranny shop or dealer reply: rebuild, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts