Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to replace my transaxle mount on my 03 Ford Taurus SEL. I guess on the 99 and later models engine and trans have to be lowered out of car with the use of a special cradle with car up on a rack first. With front left wheel off it's obvious that the transaxle can only be jacked up about an inch which would not be enough to remove mount. But it seems the only thing keeping it from jacking up higher is the lip of metal in the fender well where one portion of the bracket for the transaxle mount would hit after only jacking upward about an inch. Shops want about 8 to 9 labor hours to lower the engine and trans out from underneath car to replace this mount, but my main question is, could the transaxle be jacked up enough for the home mechanic to replace the mount by simply grinding, cutting slot in that fender lip where the bracket hits after jacking transaxle up about one inch. I can't believe that Ford went from having good sense on the 98 and earlier model to having no brains at all with the 99 and later models to where over $500.00 in labor would have to be spent in order to replace a $30.00 transaxle mount. I would chain the bad mount in place before I would pay that kind of labor to have the engine-transaxle removed. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
If I remember correctly, I had to remove the metal piece bolted to the fender wall that you mentioned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had the mounts off on my 96 and my 05. I think the 05 was easier. A floor jack is all you need. Pull the wheel and fender well. Use a piece of wood under the oil pan and jack up the motor and transmission and change the mount.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I did mine in about 45 minutes in my garage at home. It did require me unbolting the "U" mount from the side of the trans to get enough clearance to get the old one out and the new one in. A little patience goes a long way but it isn't a tough job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts