Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm off to college registration, about 100 miles away. Everythings is going fine. I fool around and race against my dad vs. his 2004 Pilot on the highway. I get my @ss beat btw. My car,a 2000 Taurus with 57k miles, begins to shift alittle wierd. Then I get this strange blinking "!" light under my RPM tach. I take out the ford manual and read.

Check transaxle
Illumination of this light indicated that a problem has been dtected and shifting may be restricted. If this lamp remains on, have your vehicle serviced immediately.

Great! My guess is the tranny is overheating? What do you guys think the problem could be? I wanna get an idea before I take it in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got the word back and AAMCO said it is the torque converter thats causing the light to come on. He said if you go over speeds of 50mph, the car switches to a lower gear and stays on it. Cost upto $1500.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by karimm33@Jun 30 2004, 05:15 PM
I just got the word back and AAMCO said it is the torque converter thats causing the light to come on. He said if you go over speeds of 50mph, the car switches to a lower gear and stays on it. Cost upto $1500.
So the torque converer is not locking up? It sounds like that's what they are saying, and they are full of it to ask that much money for a problem that you might not even have.

G

·
Originally posted by karimm33@Jun 30 2004, 06:15 PM
I would definitely get a second opinion, that is a pretty hefty repair bill. I hate to say it, but I would probably go to a stealership and have them check it out. If it is an expensive repair, then buy an extended warranty from the stealership, pay them their $100 deductible and never pay more than $100 for any repairs for the rest of the time you have the car (up to 100k miles). :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Can you really buy the extended warranty??? How does that all work?

I would take it to both a dealership and a Cottman transmission shop, just make sure that they guarantee that they'll use mercon V in the trans when they refill it...

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Hey mods, shouldn't this be in the maintenance and Repairs section instead? :blink:

Seems like there has been a recent increase of posts/threads ending up in the wrong forums. Might be just me, but that is what i have noticed the last week or two. I'm not trying to knock anyone so don't anyone start taking offense or anything :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's currently at the stealership. I will hopefully get a word back today and see what they say. While the car is there, they are going to check my fuel gauge and fuel sender cuz the gas gauge readings are always wrong. I'll get back to you guys on what they say. I don't think i need to mention the Mecron V to the dealership since they know what they are doing.. or do I ?? :)

G

·
Originally posted by karimm33@Jul 1 2004, 03:49 PM
It's currently at the stealership. I will hopefully get a word back today and see what they say. While the car is there, they are going to check my fuel gauge and fuel sender cuz the gas gauge readings are always wrong. I'll get back to you guys on what they say. I don't think i need to mention the Mecron V to the dealership since they know what they are doing.. or do I ?? :)
Cool, let us know how it goes. And, no, you shouldn't need to mention Mercon V to the dealership. :)

G

·
Originally posted by hightecredneck@Jul 1 2004, 03:42 PM
Hey mods, shouldn't this be in the maintenance and Repairs section instead? :blink:

Seems like there has been a recent increase of posts/threads ending up in the wrong forums. Might be just me, but that is what i have noticed the last week or two. I'm not trying to knock anyone so don't anyone start taking offense or anything :D
oops, I forgot which forum I was in. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by karimm33@Jun 30 2004, 05:15 PM
AAMCO has a tendancy to tell everyone their torque converter is bad. My Contour sprung a leak from the front seal and when I finally got it fixed by AAMCO (a year after the leak started) they said it was leaking from the converter. They replaced it for free acting as if they were being nice but I know that they either screwed it up or they didn't replace it at all. Not only that they screwed up my alignment and I had an exhaust leak from the rear manifold. Idiots. I took it back and they said they couldn't have possibly did it. They ended up fixing it anyway. They screwed up the drivers side engine mount too. They also over filled it by about 1 1/2 quarts. I sold it to my buddies mom and about a month ago it started leaking again.

Don't use AAMCO. I am not the only person with stories like this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just had this happen on my '03 Taurus SE with only 9500 miles on it. I was on a trip to Indy and had covered maybe 120-130 miles. The light started blinking.

However, after stopping for about 20 min or so, it did not blink again all the way back home. I called and talked with my local Ford dealer and he said;
" As long as the blinking has gone away, the computer was able to sort out the problem that it detected. There is NO NEED to do anything at this time" From what I understand, there is a pretty good program that runs during operation and that your trans is always "learning" your driving habits and tries to work them into the program for the best fuel mileage and best shift points.
It has now been 300 miles and the blinking has not returned-guess the problem could be fixed.
Personally, I would not use AAMCO either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I got my car back. They replaced the flex fuel sensor. $30 sensor $100 labor. Isn't that a sensor for the engine. I was wondering what that has to do with the tranny but I guess my tranny is fine. The light is yet to come back on. I am still going to invest in a Tranny cooler. The dealership said I needed to basically do a maintainance service.
This is what they quoted me.

Transmission flush $150
Radiator flush $140
Spark Plugs $130

And some other stuff I can't remember. So I went to autozone and bought antifreeze, and 6 Bosch Platinum spark plugs, $1.99 each. As soon as I wake up tomorrow, I will flush the radiator, and change the spark plugs. Much cheaper then having Ford do it. About the transmission, Im going to take it to a tranny shop and have them flush it and replace the oil and install a cooler. Should be fairly cheap.

G

·
Originally posted by karimm33@Jul 2 2004, 02:50 AM
Ok, I got my car back. They replaced the flex fuel sensor. $30 sensor $100 labor. Isn't that a sensor for the engine. I was wondering what that has to do with the tranny but I guess my tranny is fine. The light is yet to come back on. I am still going to invest in a Tranny cooler. The dealership said I needed to basically do a maintainance service.
This is what they quoted me.

Transmission flush $150
Radiator flush $140
Spark Plugs $130

And some other stuff I can't remember. So I went to autozone and bought antifreeze, and 6 Bosch Platinum spark plugs, $1.99 each. As soon as I wake up tomorrow, I will flush the radiator, and change the spark plugs. Much cheaper then having Ford do it. About the transmission, Im going to take it to a tranny shop and have them flush it and replace the oil and install a cooler. Should be fairly cheap.
Sounds like you got off relatively easy then. :) About the coolant flush - you may want to consider taking it to a "jiffy lube" or other such place for that so they can hook it to their "flushing machine" and actually do a pressurized flush of your coolant system because the drain and fill won't be as effective at actually clearing out any build up and whatnot.

Good idea on the transmission flush and cooler, I took mine to a local shop also. But, again, make sure they do a real flush, not just a drain and fill and make sure they're going to get the torque converter as well. And don't forget to remind them about Mercon V. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts