Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my Transaxle dummy light came on today, after I had an incident where I had to punch it to avoid getting rear-ended. Got all the way to school (only a block or more from where the incident almost happened), parked where it could be easily towed from, and called my local mechanic. He told me it might just have gotten wet, there wasn't really anything he could tell me without looking at it. Since I didn't notice any change in how it was shifting after the light came on, he told me to just go to class and see if the light came back on after I started the car an hour or so later.

After class, I started the car, and no light came on. I drove a couple miles on my way out of town, and the same light came on, but it was flashing instead of solid. Still no difference in how the car drove. Stopped to get gas, and the same thing happened. No light right after I turned the car on, but after driving a mile or two it started flashing again. Still no noticeable difference in how the car performed.

I got back to my neighborhood, and stopped by my mechanic's. He came out and ran the code reader, and got a code 741. It identified the code as the torque converter, but it didn't give any details. He said that I might have broke some dirt or something loose when I punched it and it got stuck in a valve or something, or it could be a sensor starting to go bad. He cleared the code from the car's computer, which turned the warning light off, and we both noticed that a noise that sounded almost like a loose or wet belt stopped immediately. He seemed as surprised by that as I was.

So has anyone had this code 741 for the torque converter come up before, or had a situation similar to mine? Any kind of feedback will be appreciated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
How many miles on it? And I had a similar problem with mine; it would be fine then driving down the road, the light would just start flashing but noticed a harder than normal shift from 1-2. Finally it threw a code and had to have the torque converter and torque converter clutch solenoid replaced. That seems to have fixed the problem... for the most part

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's a bit of mileage on the tranny if you've never had anything wrong with it (kudos)! It could just be a sensor or something but not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
If the problem is intermittent I would wait until it fails hard. Or 3rd time is a charm - in a sense it is consistently intermittent.

What is the root cause of error 741? And if you find the root cause of this error you will need to know how the "system" works to determine the root cause.

Rationale if one sub-system is dependent upon another system working correctly you may be missing the problem or the problem is being masked by something else.

For example, if a starter isn't operating due to age when the root cause of the starter not operating is battery corrosion within the battery cable. The starter depends on the cable delivering enough amperage to operate.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An Update

Well, I took the car to a shop my mechanic recommended (he doesn't do tranny work in his shop), and they said the tranny pan was full of metal. All the clutches were tore apart. I had to get a complete rebuild. :(

$2405.38, guaranteed 3 years or 100,000 miles.

Since I had last posted, I did start to notice harder shifting and more hesitation before it would shift. Now it shifts fine, but seems to hesitate before downshifting. Maybe I've been driving with a bad transmission for so long, that I forgot what a good one sounded and felt like. :huh:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sucks to have to pay that much, but that is a pretty decent warranty at least. What did they say caused the failure?

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Sheesh! Here in kc avg. rebuild with upgrades runs apprx. $1500 @ most reputable mom and pops with a decent warr. Dont know about the chain franchises though? Ouch!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I don't think you'll get an AX4N completely R,R, and R ed for $1500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts