Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the other issues all fixed, and was surprised when my OD light started flashing today. So I stopped by the shop, and it apparently has a code for an incorrect ratio in third gear, which means that third is slipping. So I will be needed a rebuild. The good news is there are no obvious drivability issues other than once it detects/encounters the problem and the light starts flashing, the shifting gets hard and it locks out overdrive.

It will cost me $2200 to have it rebuilt, though it could be less depending on what they actually find when they tear it apart. At the last service, there was nothing obvious in the pan or filter. So the trans is probably still mostly in good shape inside.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (KhanTyranitar @ Jun 4 2010, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809473
Well, I got the other issues all fixed, and was surprised when my OD light started flashing today. So I stopped by the shop, and it apparently has a code for an incorrect ratio in third gear, which means that third is slipping. So I will be needed a rebuild. The good news is there are no obvious drivability issues other than once it detects/encounters the problem and the light starts flashing, the shifting gets hard and it locks out overdrive.

It will cost me $2200 to have it rebuilt, though it could be less depending on what they actually find when they tear it apart. At the last service, there was nothing obvious in the pan or filter. So the trans is probably still mostly in good shape inside.[/b]
Or with $2200, you can get a Gen 2 SHO. :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (KhanTyranitar @ Jun 5 2010, 09:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809547
Uhm, I have an LX Wagon cause I want an LX Wagon. A SHO won't seat 7.[/b]
You can go to the junkyard and get a tranny but then again, that's a risk. Although, people have done it and the tranny has done ok.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What kind of shape is the rest of the car in? Do you want to keep the car for a number of more years? If the rest is okay, and you want to keep the car for a number of years, I would have the transmission rebuilt, but I would talk to the transmission shop about having it rebuilt stronger than spec, using stronger clutches, stronger aftermarket parts, a stronger tourqe converter, and a shift kit. That way, the rebuilt should outlast the rest of the car, and you won't ever worry about it going out again.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (austex04 @ Jun 5 2010, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809622
What kind of shape is the rest of the car in? Do you want to keep the car for a number of more years? If the rest is okay, and you want to keep the car for a number of years, I would have the transmission rebuilt, but I would talk to the transmission shop about having it rebuilt stronger than spec, using stronger clutches, stronger aftermarket parts, a stronger tourqe converter, and a shift kit. That way, the rebuilt should outlast the rest of the car, and you won't ever worry about it going out again.[/b]
Thats the only way I roll. You and I think alike. I am not a fan of junkyard transmissions. If I were to get a junk transmission, I would do it to rebuild it before putting it in the car.

The shop I deal with quoted me the $2200 with upgrades. And the rest of the car is in pretty good shape. It does have some minor body damage, but no rust. It has power everything, and everything works. Leather interior, sunroof, premium sound system. No, I like this car and will definitely be keeping it a while.

I will need to put aside some money, and the trans is not really acting up much at the moment. I have to drive it for now, till my van gets all its little issues resolved.

·
Registered
200 Posts
QUOTE (austex04 @ Jun 5 2010, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809622
What kind of shape is the rest of the car in? Do you want to keep the car for a number of more years? If the rest is okay, and you want to keep the car for a number of years, I would have the transmission rebuilt, but I would talk to the transmission shop about having it rebuilt stronger than spec, using stronger clutches, stronger aftermarket parts, a stronger tourqe converter, and a shift kit. That way, the rebuilt should outlast the rest of the car, and you won't ever worry about it going out again.[/b]

I have heard people mention a "Shift Kit" when talking about rebuilding a transmission.

Can you please explain what it is and what will it do vs the stock transmission ?

Thank You!

k8crd

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
A shift kit speeds up the shifts. When an auto trans shifts, there is a point where the current gear and the next gear are partially engaged. Both clutches are slipping at this point-generating heat and causing wear. Reducing this time reduces heat and wear-both enemies of trans longevity.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ Jun 6 2010, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809801
A shift kit speeds up the shifts. When an auto trans shifts, there is a point where the current gear and the next gear are partially engaged. Both clutches are slipping at this point-generating heat and causing wear. Reducing this time reduces heat and wear-both enemies of trans longevity.[/b]
Exactly, the main downside is that the shifts become much more noticeable. They become firmer, and you will feel a bump almost every time the gear changes, though how noticeable depends on how much you are into the throttle.

The other possible problem is that the shift kit can break a worn out trans, namely it can blow out seals or can crack the bands. This is only if the parts are worn anyway or were defective but may have held in the stock configuration. Installing the shift kit requires tearing the transmission apart anyway, so those kinds of parts should be replaced with performance upgrades anyway.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Gentleman for the explanation!

QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ Jun 6 2010, 10:36 AM)
Exactly, the main downside is that the shifts become much more noticeable. They become firmer, and you will feel a bump almost every time the gear changes, though how noticeable depends on how much you are into the throttle.

The other possible problem is that the shift kit can break a worn out trans, namely it can blow out seals or can crack the bands. This is only if the parts are worn anyway or were defective but may have held in the stock configuration. Installing the shift kit requires tearing the transmission apart anyway, so those kinds of parts should be replaced with performance upgrades anyway.
Thank you gentleman for the explanation - I appreciate it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts