Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Taurus slips when going into 2nd gear and then again from 2nd to 3rd but only when cold. First gear seems fine and my problem goes away after driving and getting the trans good hot.

I just got the car from my mother a couple of months ago and she said it did it from time to time but now it is really getting to be an every day problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me...

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Dumb question, but has the tranny fluid level been properly checked?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a dumb question, I should have said that I have checked the fluid level and it is at the correct level. Also the problem seemed to start out with it just affecting 2nd gear and now its 2nd and 3rd gear and once the car gets fast enough to get into 4th gear its fine.

Thought maybe I should change the fluid and filter or get one of those pressure flush treatment form a repair shop.

The car is ohv model

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
No pressure flush! Change fluid and filter as as outlined in the topic finder at the top of this page. Use mercon v atf.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one of my friends recommended Lucas if I was going to do a filter and fluid change so that why I was asking.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
What color is the fluid? Check the Speedsensor reading with a scan tool when cold, it cold be opening up and confusing the computer...

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
No additives! In general, they do more harm than good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What color is the fluid? Check the Speedsensor reading with a scan tool when cold, it cold be opening up and confusing the computer...
The fluid was a DARK DARK Red almost black. looked as if it were burnt. Also, I don't have a scan tool to test while the trans is cold.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
the worst lucas can do is clog your valvebody lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have driven the car for 2 weeks and original problem has been fixed I guess. BUT, new problem has started and I'm afraid it might be because I used the Lucas Trans Fix.

New problem
is trans seems to not want to down shift unless I come to a complete stop. If I stop at a red light or stop sign, no problem. But if I just Yield turning onto another street it feels like it will not down shift to a lower gear UNLESS I really get on the gas and force it to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on the new issue I have since I changed the filter and filter.

I was thinking of changing it again and NOT using the Lucas Trans Fix this time.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes dont use that Lucas brand. I used the fuel additive, which was recommended to me and 2 days later my fuel pump went out. I spoke with the guy at the parts store and his car hesitates when he puts it in, I wouldnt recommend that stuff to anyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I think now I will have to break down and rebuild this transmission after all. Slipping has gotten much worse over the last couple of weeks and its to the point I'm afraid my wife will get stranded somewhere.

What kit is the best for the 03Taurus with the AX4S transmission?
Should I replace the Torque Converter while im there?
Should I replace/rebuild the Valve Body?
Change the solenoids?
Or anything else I should do while I have it of the car?

I have rebuilt the trans in our 95 Explorer (4R55E) and was successful with out any issues and that was about 60,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
you can get a rebuild kit for $160ish i would swap out the torque converter while you got it out and do the rear main seal. ( i hate oil leaks ) maybe through in a shift kit so you will never get the " fall out of 4th" and reduce the soft shift.
as far as the solenoids go. it would be a shame to have one fail after all that work. but its up to you. i would do it all just so i wouldnt have to do it again.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
I would get the factory service manuals (A&b) from e-bay. Install the upgrade kits (Transgo, Superior) from Bulkpart.com, new pump shaft and rebuilt torque converter. Might check Sonnax.com for kits, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts