Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do alot of local driving on steep hills (delivery). When accelerating downhill (foot off the gas...coasting), my 1996 Taurus AND my 2001 Taurus BOTH shift late, and hard into 2nd gear. (Again, only when coasting.) If I accelerate (using gas pedal) down the hill....shifts fine. Sometimes the slam into 2nd is brutal. Thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. vss is new in both, and filter recently changed. Thinking possibly trans fluid pump wearing, in that it appears to need rpms to shift. (??)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks. vss is new in both, and filter recently changed. Thinking possibly trans fluid pump wearing, in that it appears to need rpms to shift. (??)
I have a similar problem. A harsh shift up from 1 to 2. BAM.

If I feather the throttle I can ease it over the 1-to-2 hump then roar through 2nd to 3rd.

Does the Taurus have a control cable that links the throttle body to the transmission? Check out this interesting video:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I haven't had that problem in my taurus (yet) but I had it in my F-150 for years until I replaced the shift position sensor. It's easy to do and worth a shot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks so much 46 Davis. I will try that. I have it on both my Tauruses.....worse on the one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cause of problem is not likely the neutral safety switch aka shift position sensor. Usually it's sticking or failing solenoids inside the valve body (silver gray box found on the driver side).

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/powertorque-4689/engine-parts---mounts-16774/transmission---transaxle-16780/transmission-parts-16520/at-control-solenoid-13039/e9d9d88960b5/powertorque-solenoid/te179/4674868/1997/ford/taurus?q=AT+Control+Solenoid&pos=1&fitAttr_10033=AX4S

I am experiencing a somewhat similar situation with shifting and downshifting at the moment.

Earlier this evening, I removed fluid and poured in a bottle Sea Foam TT16 additive.

After 40 miles in stop, start traffic, shifting through the gears while engine running I am already seeing some improvement. Hopefully shifting returns to normal after a week of driving.

You might want to try it. $6.57 at amazon or $11.49 at Oreilly or Autozone.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/trans-tune-4894/chemicals---fluids-16461/maintenance-chemicals-16867/steering---transmission-25135/trans-additive-17728/d14b75396a6a/sea-foam-trans-tune-16-ounce-all-transmission-additive/tt16/4711232

1 - 7 of 7 Posts