Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I took the 97 to the shop for the trans rebuild. So far, so good. They called me this morning (scared the hell outta me when I saw their number on the caller ID)! Said they could begin work on it as soon as I supplied the lock-lug's key so they could get the wheels off. I forgot about giving it to them since my uncle had put the new brake pads on Friday (didn't give the socket back to me).

The brake pads are awesome, BTW! Lomandi has a great set of rear disk pads: they come slotted, just like slotted rotors! Made with kevlar and the performance metallic-stuff. Very nice quality (thus far). No squeals or squeaks.

Anyways, the shop quoted me $1200-1500 for the rebuild. If it's not too much more, I'm gonna get'em to put in a trans-cooler, but it relies on how much it's gonna cost for the rebuild. I'll keep you guys posted.

And before I forget, the shop's name is Williams and Johnson Transmissions, Inc. They're located @ 1017 Taft Avenue in Chattanooga, TN. They're a great bucha guys (I know some of them: Denny Beene, shop foreman, is my best friend's step-uncle through Darren Beene, who is my buddy's step dad).

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Your'e having them put in a Transgo kit, right? I would strongly suggest that you do. ANd definately have them put in a stacked-plate tranny cooler. Why spend that much money on a new tranny and not protect it?????

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
puma I was wondering where did you buy the Lomandi slotted rotor with the caliper?

Thanks in advance

Frank

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by sable97@Aug 3 2004, 10:28 PM
puma I was wondering where did you buy the Lomandi slotted rotor with the caliper?

Thanks in advance

Frank
pumaboyairn is refering to the PADS, not the rotor. I believe the OEM pads are slotted also. The slot in the pad helps release gasses the same way slotted rotors do.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by spridget+Aug 3 2004, 10:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spridget @ Aug 3 2004, 10:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sable97@Aug 3 2004, 10:28 PM

Thanks in advance

Frank
pumaboyairn is refering to the PADS, not the rotor. I believe the OEM pads are slotted also. The slot in the pad helps release gasses the same way slotted rotors do. [/b][/quote]
My cheapo Albany pads have the slot in the middle for de-gassing.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Lol yeah ... I figured that :blush: Sorry.

Frank

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
silvapain Posted on Aug 3 2004, 11:18 PM
  Your'e having them put in a Transgo kit, right? I would strongly suggest that you do. ANd definately have them put in a stacked-plate tranny cooler. Why spend that much money on a new tranny and not protect it????? 
Well, like I said, they quoted me $1200-1500. I only have $1500 to do anything with so anything more than that will have to wait. Although, I do plan to have a transcooler installed later. The transgo kit is how much? I'd love having them put one in but money's kinda tight right now. The transcooler is definately in the near-future plans.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In reply about the slotted rotors: Spridget cleared that up. But I did get my slotted rotors from NOPIonline.com, about a year and a half ago. They had a clearance sale ($180+ shipping for all 4).

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks silvapain, I'll add those people to my reminder list. I'll go check on the car tomorrow, ask them about it and see how much they'll charge to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Thank you very much ... I've looking at eBay to the slotted rotors for Taurus?Sable ad they look cheap to me so I am wondering if the one you bought at NOPI are very good in making the stopping better? I was wondering whats the Transgo Kit? If anyone dont mind answering that I will appreciated.

Frank

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The transgo kit basically beefs up the internal valves and pistons on the tranny. It makes for firmer shifts, and better reliability.

I have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors up front. They have much greater stopping power, but the drawback is that you get a ticking sound when moving, from the dimples.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
well then thats good but at the same time that noise thing I dont like it. Ill try out those to see how nice they are. I could buy them at TireRack right?

Frank

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the rotors from NOPIonline have been very reliable so far. I'm expecting even more performance out of'em since I now have semi-metallic pads all the way round. I've had many sudden stops since putting them on and only once did I ever think they wouldn't stop me to avoid a wreck. But with a little defensive steering on my behalf, I acted like I wanted to make the "late lane change." I have no noise whatsoever from the rotors and the heat dissipation is very generous, although not cool to the touch as soon as you get outta the car. My uncle inspected the front rotors (while we were dealing with brakes) and said he didn't see any warpage. I must also say that the amount of dust has decreased tremendously., and I like that! :D

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well I'll try them to see how does it go, and yeah I really hate to clean up the brake rust in my newer model taurus stock rims. I hate when I spend a few days with my car a little dirty and when the rust stays there in the rims for a few days I hate to scrub that like an idiot. :lol2: I'll check them out now so I'll see if I could order them now.

Frank

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay guys! Got the car back today and it feels so good to go backwards when I want to! I asked the guys @ the shop what they thought about putting a trans cooler on and they said unless I was gonna be towing anything (at the same time I heard someone in the back yell "or racing!") that it really wasn't worth doing. I tried to argue with them about it but they wouldn't have anything to do with it. Obviously this will be something one of my buddies does for me, cause they know the importance of havin one (they're ricers). Haven't taken her to the interstate yet cause I'm still breakin in those rear brakes. I also asked about puttin in the Transgo kit and they said it wasn't good for an everyday-driver (and if they put one in it would void the 1-yr/12,000 mile warranty that comes with the rebuild). The total bill was $1431.66: $70.45 for a new Trans mount, $895.00 for the rebuild kit with converter, solenoids, and clutchplate, $10 for accessories, $30 for ggo (gas,grease,oil) and then $300 for the labor. Tax was pretty steep since it was in TN @ $121.21. So far so good though. Shifts are really smooth, and the "MAHD VULCAN POWAH" has returned!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts