Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my supervisor at works boyfriend works on trans. for a living and does it at a friends shop. I asked him ho much for a rebuild of the trans on a 99 se and he said 900.00 if I remove it or 1200.00 if he does it all. I know he does a bang out job on these and is well know around the area for his work. he offers a warranty on his work he does. I want to know if this is a fair price or would it better to just get ahold of ford and get a remanuf. trans and put it in it with the ford warranty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If he offers a warranty and if you can check with a couple of previous customers to confirm the quality of his work, go ahead and let him do the work for you. These are good prices! I paid a lot more back in December but my options were limited.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
It is a good price, but ask him if he is willing to upgrade the trans. In my opinion it is worth it to have certain components upgraded. In particular I would recommend a shift kit be installed. What this does is safely raises the line pressure so that the shifts are faster and firmer, which decreases heat and wear. There are few other upgrades, but the shift kit is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Where are you guys going for work?

I had a trans rebuilt for $800 at my local shop with removal and warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
maybe you knew the guy?? i dunno, but around here r&r plus rebuild runs in excess of $1500.

I pulled the $900 number from my personal experience in buying the complete rebuild kit, converter, lube upgrade, and synthetic ATF....That was JUST parts. Labor was free since I did it myself.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welll.... I mean I provided the transmission BUT they took out the other one and put the new one back in. Transmission was $500 rebuilt.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very good price. I just got my son's 99 out of the shop for a trans rebuild. One shop said $1800.00 another well respected shop said $2200.00. Found another shop that had good reviews $1400.00, 6 months warranty, unlimited mileage they also installed a shift kit and replaced a motor mount. Very satisfied. If your friend is well known for good work I would jump on that deal.

Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had a AX4N done and it was $2,291.00. That's with upgraded parts and an upgraded torque converter, with a 3 year/50,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Several people I know had trans rebuilds done for much less than the normal rate. Most did not last, and other components of the car were damaged or not installed correctly. There are many components to replace if the job is done right, and that takes time (=money). You get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another Quote

I just had a quote done for a replacement transmission with lifetime warrenty for $3400 from a Ford Garage for my 2001 3.0L V6. Seems pretty high, has anybody experienced transmission shops like AAMCO?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aamco

AAMCO did mine (AX4N) back in December, for $2,022 including upgrades and a one-year warranty. I'd heard the stories about this company so did some on-line searches and saw both good and bad reports. I even checked the Better Business Bureau site. There are some horror stories out there, but the local shop turned up clean. It seems it all depends on which location you use. (I think many, maybe even all, are franchises). In my situation, I've been working with this family since 1994 and have found them to be as honest and straight-forward as one will ever find. Next door to the transmission shop they have a tire, brake and muffler store and I can't tell you how many free tires, shoes, drums, pads and even calipers they've provided as warranty replacements over the years, without even a labor charge to install the replacement parts. So it all depends. There are some reputable and honest transmission shops out there, but as you know, it pays to investigate.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just had a AX4N done and it was $2,291.00. That's with upgraded parts and an upgraded torque converter, with a 3 year/50,000 mile warranty.

Just curious, when you say an upgraded torque converter - what exactly is different about it vs the oem torque converter ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts