Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon i'll take over my Dad's Taurus since he'll be gettin a Five Hundred. My main concern is the transmission. It's a '94 GL we bought new then and only has 60k original. I have plans of modding it somewhat but repairs are important to do for now. So far the transmission's normal but Dad hasn't had it serviced yet (Damn you dad lol) just regular oil changes and tires rotated. I'm gonna take it in for a 60k Service and hopefully inspected. Just curious on how much miles til they give out..at least from your experiences. I might take the risk of doing repairs to it but not too sure.

My dad used to own an '87 Taurus 4cyl with alot of miles. Transmission's about to give out so we got the AeroStar van. Then we traded that in for the '94 Taurus and haven't had alot of problems..just a few in her 10 years.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Service the transmission now. It's 30k overdue. The transmissions in these cars are weak, but a main killer seems to be lack of maintenance, or heat. They run too hot as they are, and can always benefeit from the addition of a trans cooler. I added one to my car the second I got it, and flushed the transmission with new fluid. The fluid was already quite clean, but I want this thing to last me.

·
Banned
438 Posts
I've heard so much bad about the Taurus Gen2 trannies. My previous Bull (1994 GL 3.0 L) never had a BIT of problem with the tranny. I had the filter changed and flushed/fulled at 100K miles (yes you heard me right) ... but never a problem. MY problem was mostly radiator and fan related. That Bull used to just chew thru radiator fans. They would sieze up.

I traded it off at 182K miles for my present ride, 1998 SE (which now has 150K miles)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts