Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a trans cooler in my Sable the other day and I've developed an odd shift in my trans after the install. I don't know if the cooler has anything to do with it, it's probrably just a coincidence.

Here's the issue. When I take off the car shifts into 2nd fine and when it goes to slift into 3rd for the first time, the rev's go up a little, and then drop back town as the clutch engages. It's not a slip, it feels like the 2nd gear clutch is releasing before the 3rd gear clutch has a chance to engage, if that's how the innards work. It only does it once, after the car has been parked for a bit, either cold or hot trans, and it never does it again while driving. Also only notice it under very gentle throttle like granny acceleration, when I accelerate quicker, It hasn't done it yet.

So is this just a random quirk that I have to live with, or is this a precursor to total trans failure? There's no slippage under WOT and the shifts feel really good. It's got new fluid in it and the old fluid wasn't burnt or even dark.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
You mentioned that you have new fluid in it but you didn't mention if the fluid was replaced when you did the cooler install. If it wasn't and the fluid was replaced prior to the cooler install did you happen to check the fluid level after you installed the cooler (silly question i know but have to check)? Adding the cooler and it's lines will lower the fluid level if you didn't compensate for it by adding more fluid afterwards. I don't know if that could cause the problem you are experiencing but would be worth checking.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Usually a bad 1-2 shift is an indicator of tranny failure, but it is possible. Check the fluid level, and if it's not that then disconnect the battery and reset the EEC. If you bypassed the stocl radiator, the drop in pressure might have thrown off some of the calculations on the EEC.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did add more fluid after i installed the cooler. It's almost at the top of the dipstick now. The car doesn't do it very often, and only under very light throttle. I've driven about 600 miles since I noticed it and it's not gotten any worse, I'd say it's happened less often. I even drove it up some steep mountain roads where it must have gotten damn hot, and it never scared me, I trust it now.

I won't be driving the car for a while. The plates where taken off of it today and the reg was transfered to my grandfathers new car, so it'll be sitting around in my driveway till late fall when I transfer the plates from the Volvo to the Sable.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
You said that the fluid is near the top of the dipstick, did you mean top of the safe hash marks? If not make sure you don't overfill with trans fluid that can be as bad as underfilling. Glad things appear to be working out for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts