Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 97GL with AX4N transmission. I bought the car with 94,200mi on it and it currently has 99,900. When I bought it, I noticed that when you give the car gas, it seems to shutter and shake....not that bad though. Once you let off the gas, it rides smooth. Is this something that I should be worried about, or will I be ok. I don't beat on the car, and I never shift hard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Adam

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Its called torque converter shudder, flush and fill the trans fluid and call it good.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I flushed her at 95,000, and its still doin it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you can feel the shake in the steering, and it only occurs during acceleration (most) and steady cruse a little but none while coasting, it could be the front drive axiles. Check for a little slop (play) in the inner and/or outer CV joints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The "shudder" problem is quite common. I would add LubeGuard. You basically want to be adding "friction modifiers" to the trans fluid.

I had a 96 Taurus that shuddered. I replaced the fluid with some "high-mileage" trans fluid (with friction modifiers in it) and have never seen the problem since.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so this Lubeguard, I can just add to my tranny fluid, and I don't have 2 worry bout over filling it? Like I said I just had her flushed at 95,000, and really don't want to do it again.

Thanks
adam

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where can I find a good "Friction Modifier"?

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Apr 18 2004, 02:17 PM
Where can I find a good "Friction Modifier"?

Adam
Check your local dealer. Most ford dealers sell a friction modifier, especially for transmission fluid.

-DC

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so its just generic? do I add a whole bottle to the tranny fluid?
Thanks again for the help guys, you haven't let me down.

Adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts