Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 months ago I had a rebuilt tranny installed w/cooler. Never ran better! With my twin sons learning to drive I'm noticing from the passenger seat that when they get on the gas pedal a slight 'lurch' or clunk. When I drive I don't notice it, of course I driver "smoother" and when they focus I don't notice the 'feeling'. Its not a noise, tranny is very smooth through the gears.

They are very good drivers, not lead foots. My driving style is to feather the pedal, yeah it takes a couple extra yards to get the Beast up to whatever speed but its not a drag racer to begin with.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The Taurus can "learn" driving styles and adjust trasmission line pressures and torque convertor lockup points to suit the driver. It may be the EEC is trying to adjust to your sons' style. I assume that they don't have the same control that you do, and are probaly "pumping" the gas (hitting the gas too hard, then letting off, then overcorrecting again) and that may be the problem.

EDIT: I know youv'e been in the club for a while, but Iv'e never met you before so - Welcome to the TCCA!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the speedy reply and welcome Silvapain. The board keeps me sane when I can't figure out why the GL wagon will do what it does, not to mention the Forum saves me money.

Can you explain more the EEC and the 'learning' factor? I thought it would learn my driving style since I'm the primary driver after each code check, major repair etc. I'm trying to baby this tranny, after blowing one hundreds of miles fr home I'm motivated to see the signs of wear on this one.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The tranny will adapt to the driver, but it doesn't do it every time someone different drives. It'll learn the style within the first 400 miles and after that it should stay with that program. I would probably agree with silvapain about "pumping" the pedal since I do it occationally when I drive and I blame the car when my dad notices (yeah, bad driving = long lecture).

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
maybe motor mounts? if u accelerate slowly then the motor willn't lift but if they stab the throatl.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
these kids drive well, no stabbing, and the motor mounts are new. Its just the difference of sitting in the passenger side and 'feeling the bump' of the tranny, whereas when I take the wheel it never happens!

I don't think you could whomp on the pedal on a GL wagon and ever feel anything, it glides up to 65 and never slows down after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts