Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it all started yesterday when i was going home on the high way, with the cruise set at 65mph i was gaining on the next car to pass... then all i hear is my car the engine red lining at 6k... so i took the cruise off and coasted it to the side off the road... found out that the trans doesn't want to go into any forward gears or rev... will go into park and neutral... there is a kind of a whine noise coming from the trans.... i think it might be one of the bands are worn out... so i was wondering how easy it would be to remove and repair this problem compered to buying a reman trans and installing it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
even furthur

Once the engine is pulled out the top. How hard is a rebuild on the transmission. I have seen a kit for under 200 dollars.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
could be a blown torque converter. when the tranny goes it should be stuck in limp mode. meaning 2nd gear. if you dont have any gears im thinking tc is the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have access to a scanner, look at the nuetral safety switch and see if it is telling computer what gear it is in.

Mine was slipping occasionally in 3rd and it was the switch telling the computer that vehicle was in nuetral

But your problem sounds like something broke.:(

·
Registered
58 Posts
My money is on the oil pump shaft is broken. I have replaced 5 of these on five different cars. Two 96, two 97, and one 98. The 98 I purchased new changed the fluid every 30,000 and the exact same thing happened. Check to see if there is any flow by removing the return line from the cooler before the transmission. No flow means no pump. When the bearing on the pump shaft fails the shaft wears and breaks the shaft. Sometimes you get a TCC code as the grit causes it to stick. All of this is fixable without removing the transmission from the car.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My money is on the oil pump shaft is broken. I have replaced 5 of these on five different cars. Two 96, two 97, and one 98. The 98 I purchased new changed the fluid every 30,000 and the exact same thing happened. Check to see if there is any flow by removing the return line from the cooler before the transmission. No flow means no pump. When the bearing on the pump shaft fails the shaft wears and breaks the shaft. Sometimes you get a TCC code as the grit causes it to stick. All of this is fixable without removing the transmission from the car.
Had a 2004 that lost the pump when I had just filled the tank on a trip. Started the car and had P and N, but not useful for standard travel!!LOL. The pump shaft had broken and therefore no pressure for the transmission. $3000 for remove and rebuild. The rental car and return trip to Spokane was Priceless. Ouch. The car had 135,000 on it and was borrowed. I owned more of it than I had planned too!! Did not have tools and time 600 miles from home for many options.
Good luck. It is a job to pull motor and drop the frame to get to everything. Just sayin!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.