Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i think my AX4N is effin' haunted. I drained the fluid today to try to fix it (it looks like mud.) and when i bolt the pan up, i notice a slow drip from the rear of the pan. I'm sitting there wondering what the hell is going on because seriously, it shouldn't be leaking when there is NO fluid in the pan.

So once i dry up the back.. it looks clean so i figure it was just some residual drip from inside that made it between the gasket and pan so it leaked out when i torqued the bolts.

Wrong.

I come back the next day to find a freaking puddle the size of one of the great lakes of MERCON in my garage.

HOW IN THE HELL CAN IT LEAK THAT MUCH WHEN THERE IS NO FLUID IN THE PAN?!! :blink:

I even flushed the transmission. There is NO residual! :blink:

I'm guessing it might be from an internal drip, seeping through the gasket, so I might need to RTV both sides of the gasket.

Anyone have an answer before i go out of my mind? :suicide:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What type of gasket did you use? If it's the OEM parts house rubber gasket, get rid of it. They're pieces of shite, and will leak like sieves every time. If it's the OEM cork style one, a tiny (and I mean tiny) bead of RTV will fix the issue.

If you've still got your original rubber gasket that came with the car, put that one back on. It's reusable and is much better than anything else you'll find.

JR

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (godspunk32 @ May 5 2009, 06:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722979
What type of gasket did you use? If it's the OEM parts house rubber gasket, get rid of it. They're pieces of shite, and will leak like sieves every time. If it's the OEM cork style one, a tiny (and I mean tiny) bead of RTV will fix the issue.

If you've still got your original rubber gasket that came with the car, put that one back on. It's reusable and is much better than anything else you'll find.

JR[/b]
I had the OEM Cork, but it was cooked and had to be scraped off. I then had a cheapo parts house rubber gasket and i replaced it with this "Fel-pro" lookalike because i didnt feel like ordering one in. I was unlucky enough to not have a AX4N with the upgraded pan.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Last time I bought one, an OEM re-usable trans pan gasket, from Ford, was $18 bucks. Works great!

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ May 6 2009, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723247
Last time I bought one, an OEM re-usable trans pan gasket, from Ford, was $18 bucks. Works great![/b]
:werd:

It's the rubber one with the rigid core. Easier to get on as well.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I don't know how it is for gen 3's but my gen 2 sable was leaking power steering where the lines meet the rack which coincidentally is right above the tranny...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 6 2009, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723249
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ May 6 2009, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723247
Last time I bought one, an OEM re-usable trans pan gasket, from Ford, was $18 bucks. Works great![/b]
:werd:

It's the rubber one with the rigid core. Easier to get on as well.
[/b][/quote]

Mine felt like hard plastic.. i think i need a better one.. this one had a rigid core which was better than the flimsy cheap rubber one they gave me before. I think i'll go pick meh up on @ the dealer.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Just got a Federal Mogul Fel-pro Gasket in there, Turns out those little metal reinforcements were blocking my pan from sealing all the way. My pan has metal "Standoffs" to prevent from overtorqing the bolts. (which those reinforcements were ment to do as well. So I tried drilling them larger (being as once you remove it from its box FedMog won't take it back.) didnt work, instead a couple of them popped out. Ticked off I just popped the rest of them out quite easily and now the pan sealed up like a charm. I havent had a chance to fluid test it, but i'm praying that tomorrow when i pour the new MerconV in there it will hold it nice and tight like my new Fel-pro Oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
General Consensus: NO LEAKS.

My new pan gasket is holding true, there are NO leaks.

I do have 1 leak but its from where the transmission connects to the engine. I'm not messing with that till i get my new tranny in there.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
:horns: Excellent work.

You say you did your engine oil pan gasket too? How much of a pain was that, besides the whole y-pipe removal part? :x:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 5 2009, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730386
:horns: Excellent work.

You say you did your engine oil pan gasket too? How much of a pain was that, besides the whole y-pipe removal part? :x:[/b]
well the fel-pro kit came with these hanger things that go into the bolt holes and support the gasket and pan while you put the bolts in, so on a scale of 1-5 it was a 2.5 (NOT INCLUDING THE DAMN Y-PIPE REMOVAL)

All-in-all the Whole thing rated a 4.5 out of 5 because of the need for specialized sockets to reach in the tight places. took me a U-joint and some painters tape to get it where I needed it. So a person with a well endowed tool box can do it given some time, bandages, and some neomycin. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts