Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 00 has ~156k and it started leaking trans fluid last week (loosing it pretty fast too). I've had it to 3 shops and they all agree - front trans seal is shot. Here's my question. They want ~$800 to fix just the seal and ~$1400 for a complete rebuild.

At ~156k does it make sense to pay the extra for the rebuild? This is the first and only problem we've had with the transmission. We bought the car at ~142k and have no idea if it's untouched or been rebuilt before.

Please share your thoughts. TIA

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
The engine is probably still solid. The suspension and brakes are they in good shape? If the car is sound other than the tranny, have it rebuilt as it is cheaper than a new used car.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
The engines are pretty strong runners. If everything else is in good shape , then I'd fix the tranny. <<--- not one for car payments.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (fordtaurus2000 @ Jun 15 2009, 07:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732370
The engines are pretty strong runners. If everything else is in good shape , then I'd fix the tranny. <<--- not one for car payments.[/b]

The cheap(er) fix or the total rebuild?

Let me ask it this way - under normal use how many miles does the trans typically last? This is my wife's daily driver and although she can put 2500-300 miles a week on the car she does not beat on it.

How many here have 200k+ miles on the original trans?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You could always check out the automotive services section in craigslist and look for somone who's ase certified who could do the seal for you. I had a Harley mechanic do my drum brakes once during the winter, for about $150 less than if I took it to the shop (I hate drum brakes), I didn't want to spend a lot for my lazyness. Just be carefull when it comes to craigslist, make sure they really know what they're doing. Do the transmissions have to come out to do the front seals? I would think theres a way to do it without having to drop the subframes, although it wouldn't be very easy. The problems with many of these transmission shops is they're too eager to sell people transmissions. Is it the ax4s or ax4n unit? I had over 200k on a aod-e unit when I had my '93 GL without the aux cooler, aod-e's are worse than the ax4s units.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts