Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need ya'll to at least help me feel better with accurate information. This board has always been so helpful to me in the past.

About two years ago - It *appeared* that my transmission seal was going. LOTS of fluid leaking. I took it to the Ford dealership - they wanted about close to two grand to put on some end links and fix the seal.

It looked like an oil pan gasket - I took it upon myself to repair it myself. It took me a couple days (wasn't easy to get the exhaust off) but, I was pleased to remove the pan, see *no sludge* at all - very clean inside - I put the new gasket on and the bottom side of my car hasn't leaked one drop since.

It's got 175,500 on the odometer.

I went to an event at the Ford dealership I used to work at in Nashville - they had a 2010 gun metal blue SHO there. It (of course) was very hot last night - I drove roughly 130 miles round trip.

Of course, this morning - I discovered several drops the size of a quarter or so on the ground. I just got it up on the lift - trans front seal is definately dealing. (the rubber cover was dripping fluid)

I'm as broke as broke can be right now. Do you replace just the seal? I know the trans has to be pulled to do it. The natural thing to do is to rebuild the transmission - mine, (right now) is shifting fine.

I'm crushed - and a little scared. Any thoughts you might have would be helpful as always.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
No way I would go through all that hassle WITHOUT rebuilding the tranny.

Regarding the leak. Sometimes it is just a seal getting worn out, sometimes something MAKES the seal wear out. In the second case, in my experiences with my SHO's, it is a bronze bushing on the inside of the torque converter shaft that gets worn and allows the converter to 'droop' which puts it out of center with the seal.
If this is the case on your car, simply replacing the seal won't fix anything, or won't fix it for long. Unfortunately, it's one of those things you can't tell for sure until everything is apart and in your hands.

That said, no way would I pull a tranny and NOT replace the torque converter too. I HATE pulling trannies, and I'll do everything possible to make sure I only have to do it once.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Jun 28 2009, 08:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735734
No way I would go through all that hassle WITHOUT rebuilding the tranny.

Regarding the leak. Sometimes it is just a seal getting worn out, sometimes something MAKES the seal wear out. In the second case, in my experiences with my SHO's, it is a bronze bushing on the inside of the torque converter shaft that gets worn and allows the converter to 'droop' which puts it out of center with the seal.
If this is the case on your car, simply replacing the seal won't fix anything, or won't fix it for long. Unfortunately, it's one of those things you can't tell for sure until everything is apart and in your hands.

That said, no way would I pull a tranny and NOT replace the torque converter too. I HATE pulling trannies, and I'll do everything possible to make sure I only have to do it once.[/b]
I pulled the inspection rubber thingee - the torque converter area is dry. I'm not sure what seal it is - I'm assuming the input side - the only part of that rubber inspection sleeve-thing that was wet was the bottom part that's exposed. That would tell me that it's not leaking from the input/TC area.

Thoughts?

Thanks again - I *love* my car - I'm having a tough time covering my mortgage, let alone paying for a trans rebuild on a car that's shifting (for a car with 175,500) ok. The dipstick was full, the fluid was red - there was a very slight odor - nothing strong.

I didn't taste it. :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Are you sure it is tranny fluid? The seal is around the input shaft on the tranny. Otherwise might be the rear main seal on the engine.

The seal is usually damaged from heat though I suppose it could be just worn out. The seal could have worn a groove in the shaft too.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Check to see if its leaking from the top vent on the tranny and running down. Those vents had some common ATF leak problems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 28 2009, 09:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735738
Are you sure it is tranny fluid? The seal is around the input shaft on the tranny. Otherwise might be the rear main seal on the engine.

The seal is usually damaged from heat though I suppose it could be just worn out. The seal could have worn a groove in the shaft too.[/b]
Wouldn't the rear main leaking have oil in the inspection area? The torque converter was totally dry, and looked new. I would think the rear main leaking would have oil there, and would have at least all over the rubber inspection plug/sleeve thing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It should be easy to tell the difference between ATF and motor oil. Which is it?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Oil dripping from the rubber cover is either engine oil or tranny fluid. Either way it requires removal of the tranny. With that many miles on the car a new rear main seal would be cheap to do at the time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (mt_goat @ Jun 28 2009, 10:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735747
It should be easy to tell the difference between ATF and motor oil. Which is it?[/b]
I never said it was engine oil. I should have been more clear - by saying "transmission front seal" I assumed you would know transmission fluid.

It was tranny fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts