Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the car (2000) and checked the level after driving to work 46 miles and it may be about a quart low. I do hear a slight noise when putting in gear when it is cold.

Today I am attempting to flush my trans. I disconnected the line to the cooler to pump out as much fluid before dropping the pan. Very little if nothing came out. Mostly just air.

I proceeded to drop the pan and got a little over 5 quarts.
Added 6 quarts and had the wife run it through the gears for 30 seconds each gear to get the rest of the fluid out. I would say only and ounce or 2 came out. I was expected at least a few quarts.

What am I doing wrong or what could be wrong with the trans.

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I intially had the Power Steering line off.
Hardly any came out. When done with tranny, no PS.
PS resivour was empty so I added some fluid. It is now all frothy. What is the best way to flush out all the PS fluid. I want to have it all fresh.

Thx

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I intially had the Power Steering line off.
Hardly any came out. When done with tranny, no PS.
PS resivour was empty so I added some fluid. It is now all frothy. What is the best way to flush out all the PS fluid. I want to have it all fresh.

Thx
You can pump it out the PS return (low pressure) line while it's running, just be sure to not let the reservoir go dry/ suck air while doing it. You should bleed out the air that's in there now before you start though.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
It is easiest and most thorough to replace a little at at time. This cleans out the entire system instead of just changing the fluid.

Get a gallon of ATX fluid and a turkey baster. Drain the reservoir every three days and refill. When a drop of the fluid on a white paper towel is as clean as a drop of new fluid then you are done. Then once a year drain and refill the reservoir.

To get rid of the frothy fluid just work the steering from lock to lock several times with the engine running.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
If it is really black then the internals of the PS rack are coated with it. It will take a month or so of fluid exchange to get it clean. Just keep checking the fluid with the drop test. This really shows the condition of the fluid and will tell you when you are clean or need to change it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.